Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aggressive Dwarf Gourami?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartan:

Quote:
I'm outta here! talk about a rude contradictory statement

The statement was neither rude nor contradictory. Using words like "spiteful" or "angry" or "evil" when describing fish is very unfair (to the fish) and also very misleading to folks here who might not have the same experience as you do. It is very easy for us as fish keepers to give our charges human characteristics as we develop emotions towards them - after all, their lives and health depend completely on our abilities. But to a novice in the hobby, certain behaviors demonstrated by fish (aggression in particular) are almost always a result of either the breed's natural instincts or more often less-than-adequate environmental conditions. To label a species or an individual fish as spiteful could very easily lead a person to ignore obvious inadequacies in the stocking or tank set up which are far more likely to be the cause of aggression. In this particular instance as Unissuh pointed out, the gourami most likely became aggressive due to a threat introduced into the tank's dynamics.

Quote:
If you believe THAT you follow much spouted dogmatism opposite to nature

I stand by my statement 100%. Nowhere have I ever read, heard about or witnessed any species of fish play fighting. If you can support your statement with any pertinent information, please do. Play fighting is a natural instinct almost exclusive to mammals - usually young to adolescent males, who are "training" for the real fights that will take place when they are older for breeding purposes. When fish fight, it is for real and if one can kill the other, it will. Again, to a novice reading this forum the point could be easily taken that their fish are play fighting and there is nothing to worry about as it is natural. This is untrue.

If I am being rude by pointing out misleading or incorrect statements, then rude I am.
spartan plume
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4533449

http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=bluegourami

not dwarf gourami but they still have the same properties

Moderator edit - uncredited text from another site removed.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.16(Sun)20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play. I can see where you got the idea of play fighting. I have two issues with your sources:

1) The first is a paper published forty years ago. Although interesting regarding size differential and the role it plays in maintaining a pecking order, length of fights and probability, I did not see where it mentions play fighting.

2) The second is a website originating from Slovakia and the passage you cite is an opinion. I have no idea what it is based on as the author is not mentioned.

Quote:
not dwarf gourami but they still have the same properties

Be careful here.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: