Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking Help : Tanganyikan Tank
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Imani1978
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.13(Thu)21:24    Post subject: Stocking Help : Tanganyikan Tank Reply with quote

Hi there -
I have a 29G tank (not the tall type) that I'll be setting up. pH is about 8.3, so I think my only option is a Cichlid/Tanganyikan Tank. I would love one larger fish as the focal point and then a few smaller ones, but I know I'm a little limited by the size of the tank. If it were yours, what would you stock it with?

Thanks. Smile
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.15(Sat)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pH does limit things. I have a higher pH out of the tap as well. I mix my WC's with half spring water (6.4), use peat in the filters as well as under the substrate and have plants and driftwood in the tanks. The pH stays consistent between 6.8 and 7.4. A RO water filter would also accomplish these ends.

For a 29 gallon tank you could consider two or three Julidochromis (one male). Three or four Neolamprologus caudopunctatus or Neolamprologus cylindricus is also something I would try. Do not mix different species of Neolamprologus. Also be careful as they will pair off (no harem) and become aggressive towards the others. Removing one or two will almost be certain. You could also consider a pair of Tanganicodus irsacae.

Unfortunately you are very limited with the size and water specs. Most Africans are territorial/aggressive and there just isn't enough room for a focal (centerpiece) fish and others. Also keep in mind that once you add the rockwork that these fish need, your water volume will be much less than 29 gallons.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.15(Sat)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shellies and a calvus could work.
Start with a trio of shellies - multis, occis or whatever you can get really.
Add a juvenile calvus.

If you have hard tapwater there is a fair chance someone in your area keeps tangs. try a wanted ad on craigslist.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: