Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
T-5 HO
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Osinga
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.11(Tue)20:32    Post subject: T-5 HO Reply with quote

Do these lights run hot. 6 X 54W T-5 HO. Is that going to be a hot ballast or are these newer lights relatively efficient? Thanks
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.12(Wed)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

T5HOs run pretty hot as far as I know, particularly the units that have many bulbs crammed into a small area with poor ventilation.

Have to agree that 6 T5HO bulbs, if they are properly fitted with reflectors, is probably overkill. That sounds more like the type of thing people run over their reef set ups.
Osinga
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.12(Wed)18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
My 200gal. tank is 36inches deep. I am having a tough time with my current 96 watt. I am constantly replanting and having to take growth from plants close to the light and replant. I have purchased the 6 x 54 T-5HO last night. I did a lot or research and all great reviews on it. I had them switch out the 3 blue actinic and replace with 6 x 10000k. When it arrives I might change 3 out to 6700.
I am building a new top for my tank and am looking forward to getting some proper plant growth. I quess I will keep you posted. Do you guys really think this is overkill? It is still under 2W per gallon.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.12(Wed)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wpg rule breaks down over small and large tanks. Not that I have much experience with large tanks, but it is very rare that you see large tanks with as high wpg as smaller ones, even ones that have very successful plant growth.

As to how much overkill - depends on whether it's a cheap unit or whether it has proper specular aluminium reflectors over every bulb. I think this topic has been done to death on the marine side of the hobby, but 4 bulbs with proper reflectors is supposed to give you more light than 6 with a communal reflector. 6 bulbs, if they all have individual specular aluminium reflectors, is a pretty large amount of light.

Do they have individual switches? If it's too much, one could just turn off a couple of bulbs if that is the case.
Osinga
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.12(Wed)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. They have individual aluminum reflectors. There is two switches, so I could alternate with the lights if they are too bright. I am very curious about how much light they will cast and the effect on my plants. I do have a lot of darker areas and shaded spots for my fish. I have a stump that offers a lot of cover also. Thanks for responding.. I have never read any of the marine stuff here.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.13(Thu)10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are FOR SURE going to run into algae issues unless you're running Co2.

And I will say it again, WOW 324W is A LOT

And the WPG rule is out the window when T5HO are involved, PAR is far more accurate. (WPG is for T12)

Advice if you want it. Does this until have 2 switches (1 for 3 bulbs and 1 for the other 3) If so you're going to need to work out a reasonable photo period (LEAVE the 6700 in I wouldn't replace them).

3 x54 10,000 4hrs a day
3 x54 6,700 4hrs

All 6 1hr

7am-12pm 3 x54 10,000
12pm-1pm 3 x54 10,000 & 3 x54 6,700
1pm-9pm 3 x54 6,700
9pm-7am LIGHTS OUT.

SOUNDS like an awesome setup man....congrats
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: