Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Looking for a good powerhead with some mechanical filtration
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kimura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.07(Fri)14:39    Post subject: Looking for a good powerhead with some mechanical filtration Reply with quote

I was looking at an aquaclear 70 with the attached sponge but the tank
is pretty shallow and it may be too tall. I have a small powerhead right now for much needed water movement in a dead corner but I would really like some extra mechanical filtration outside of the main filter. Anyone have any other good suggestions?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.07(Fri)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a small internal filter instead of a powerhead.
kimura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.07(Fri)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.... I don't particularly like internal filters and I really need some good
water movement out of it. I doubt an internal filter would have the output I want without taking up too much space. I'm just looking for a good
powerhead with a sponge that doesn't take up too much space. Thanks
anyway Smile
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.07(Fri)22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of Marineland's MaxiJet line of powerheads. They include the option to add aeration, and various parts to add a sponge for filtration. I have had a 600 in my one directional "stream" tank for about 2 years and is my only source of filtration for that tank. It does a great job, but will need to be kept free of debris often to maintain the flow you want. I think they make a sponge for it, but I just bought some sponge and cut it out to fit my pump. Since, I have bought another 600for another tank and a 1200 for circulating a live well.

The good thing about these is the mod kit. If you decide you want more power, you can buy mods kits for maxi-jets at a very reasonable price.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.01.08(Sat)2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the same as Aquarium System Maxi-Jet in europe and I find them a bit too loud. Not my first choice for a home environment Smile my pumps must be silent.
But they do circulate well though
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.09(Sun)9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, Dusko, I have noticed the noise from the Maxi-Jet. It does seem to let out a noticable hum, but nothing that I find intolerable. I think it is the vibrations because I've had to shift my light fixture occasionally b/c the pump will cause it to rattle from time to time. Overall, I love the performance of these pumps. I can't stress enough about 'cleaning' the sponge when using a powerhead as a filter - just to ensure you get the flow you really want.

Edit:
I forgot to mention, that while the eco-mod for the Maxi-jets greatly improve water movement, you lose the ability to use for biological filtration. The eco-mod kit basically turns the powerhead into a propeller and works similar to the Hydor Koralia. Just FYI.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: