Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Will pregnant yellow lab eat her babies?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JayJay_65
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.06(Thu)19:53    Post subject: Will pregnant yellow lab eat her babies? Reply with quote

Okay so I just bought a 10G tank, set it up, used the water from my 38G tank (been running for about a year-2yrs now), put the crushed coral in the tank so its fine and all cycled already... of course the heater and filter in there too...

anyway... so if I put the yellow lab in the 10G tank and let her spit out the babies on her own, do I have to keep an eye on her?? Or can I just let her be and spit them out and not worry about moving her back to my main tank?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.06(Thu)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water from your main tank will do virtually nothing. You'll need to move some filter media or squeeze out some "filter gunk" into the filter you're using on your fry tank.

The female will likely not eat her babies for a day or two, but then will decide they'd make a nice lunch. I like to move my females from the fry tank, to a "maternity tank" to fatten them back up again before moving them to the main tank. If you don't have an additional tank for her, she'll have to go back into the main tank after she spits the fry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
JayJay_65
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.07(Fri)21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesterday she was in holding... now, shes not... I looked for the babies, and nothing... I put her in my hand and dunked her in and out of the tank and opened her mouth, and she spit out no babies... I'm not sure what happened to the babies =(
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.09(Sun)7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

She could have spit already and other fish could have eaten them. Chances are she may have just been fake holding. My younger female Electric Yellows will do this from time to time until they actually get eggs. It's kind of like a young girl holding a doll. They do it to practice. If you see her do that again, put her in the 10 gallon and let her spit on her own. Leave her in the 10g for a day or so and feed her to help get some strength back and then add her in to the main tank again. What is in the main tank? What is your male-female ratio?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.11(Tue)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was she in the main tank or in the 10g at the time?

Some females will eat the babies quicker than others. I started stripping my females because I couldn't be around all of the time to watch when they spit. You just have to be careful not to strip them too early or the babies will still have large yolksacs and be unable to swim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: