Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Activated Carbon in small saltwater reef tank
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bandito
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.06(Thu)15:39    Post subject: Activated Carbon in small saltwater reef tank Reply with quote

Very Happy I have a 20G reef tank with a aquaclear hang on filters. I also have a venturi protein simmer. The info on this site is really helpful. My tank has been running for 8 months now and I have zoos, mushrooms, green bubble tip anemone. Ext. I have chemipure in one of my filters and I stopped using bio balls in my hang on filter after reading the article on small saltwater tanks. I am just wandering if using chemipure is necessary instead of just using normal activated carbon or just using,none at all. [/I]
bandito
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.07(Fri)14:54    Post subject: Activated carbon Reply with quote

Is chemipure really necessary in a small tank for matter any activated carbon?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.01.30(Sun)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chemipure is a brand, and as such it is not required for success; however it is an excellent form of carbon. There are other good brands of activated carbon too, and they are all used as a form of chemical filtration. AC uses absorption to remove remove yellowing compounds from the water, also removes medications like copper, and toxins from soft corals that a protein skimmer might not remove. Some hobbyists use AC periodically, others prefer 24/7 use. Please see my comments on your other topic regarding toxins.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: