Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Starting an australian native species website...
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kimbalilly
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)18:33    Post subject: Starting an australian native species website... Reply with quote

Hi there all

Recently I delved into the beautiful world of native australian fish keeping, but was concerned about the lack of easy to find, well presented information. From this experience I decided I would build a website devoted to such and so have set about gathering information for ilovefish.com.au

This website will be a hub of information, listing all different fish, inverts and plants species (primarily freshwater), as well as give advice on biotope setups, where best to shop be it retail stores or online, interesting articles etc, and as I'm doing it out of love, will be on the side of the fish and the fish keepers and is about giving them the best of the information at their disposal.

The reason I'm posting on here is that although I have the passion, I don't necessarily have the knowledge, and this where I might need some help. I need help compiling a list of the various species, doing the write ups and providing pictures or videos. I'd also be looking for someone who might enjoy writing a few interesting articles.

I expect that when it nearing completion that it may be a little like practicalfishkeeping.CO2.uk, just a bit less complicated and based only on australia natives.

Please do contact me if you or anyone you know may be interested in helping me out with this, I really appreciate any time you can give me. It is my new years resolution to have this up and running in 6 months so no time to lose!

My email address is kim@ilovefish.com.au

Cheers fellow fishkeepers, I look forward to hearing from you.

Kim
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out some of the local sites? There are quite a few people who are very knowledgeable about natives on aquariumlife and a couple of native aquaculturists who sell native plants and fish. There is also an ANGFA database which lists various fish, sizes, distribution etc (can't remember the bloody link right now, will look it up if you want it).
kimbalilly
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Unissuh!

I have been looking, and have found a fair bit of information, but my problem is is that it's so badly presented it puts me off. And I love fish, imagine people who are just getting into it having this much trouble? They'd just go and buy the fish without bothering to research as it's so difficult to read or find! This is what prompted me to start my website in the first place. For example ANGFA has a huge gallery, but the fish are all listed under one category, 'fish'. I'll definitely email them though, and aquariumlife too, which I've just joined. There's also nativefish.asn.au which again has good info but hurts my head to look at!

I'd love to hear feedback about what people think is missing from websites or what information they have trouble finding..?
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimbalilly wrote:
I'd love to hear feedback about what people think is missing from websites or what information they have trouble finding..?

When I'm looking up a specific fish to learn more about it... I like to know the water temp they prefer, the maximum size they get to (and specified if that is including the tail fin or not), and the minimum tank size recommended. Also, if they are aggressive, need a certain pH, and if they're really sensitive and need a mature tank or not.

It could also be helpful for people who are trying to create biotopes if you listed places where each fish can be found, so that they have something more exact to go off of than "Australian native fish", you know. I was trying to make a S. American biotope stocking list a while back, and got frustrated because so many sites just list that a fish comes from S. America, but you've got to do some serious digging to pinpoint a smaller location to base the biotope on.

Oh... breeding information is always nice to be able to find, too. Smile
kimbalilly
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes yes!

This is all information I plan on including, the real specifics of biotopes especially Smile
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stuff I have most trouble finding is the habitat in which fish are actually found, this would be covered by your biotope descriptions hopefully. pH, hardness, temp and other water parameters mainly. I find this information pretty rare in biotope descriptions, there are always lots of pretty pictures but thats about it.

Don't forget to include plants and inverts too - I think you'll be pretty surprised at what has been coming onto the market in the last few years if you don't already know. Lots of these available from Dave @ Aquagreen - great guy and a very good aquaculture place to buy natives from.

I'd offer to help with a few profiles but I have very limited experience with natives - about the only one I have kept myself is Pseudomugil gertrudae, Wenlock type locality. Probably one of the most common ornamental natives kicking around.
kimbalilly
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, again all information I'm planning on including. It's going to be a huge job, but I hope with the help of some passionate contributors I can pull it off. I going to have to take it one step at a time - lists of all fish/plants/shrimp species, then info for their profiles as well as good quality photo's and videos. Once these are on the site I can start tracking down info for the biotopes, then blog articles etc. Wow writing it down makes it seem rather daunting. Oh well.

Aquagreen is where I got my pacific blue eyes (based on your suggestion a while back) and darwin algae shrimp from, they are beautiful. I have actually emailed Dave asking how he'd feel about sharing his information, so fingers crossed he'll be up for it as he's got some good stuff there.

When it comes down to it I'd love you to do the profile for the Pseudomugil gertrudae. Thank you very kindly for offering. Any help is better than no help!
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: