Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new member with a BIG question
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Pestey
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)4:45    Post subject: new member with a BIG question Reply with quote

hi guy's I'm new to the forum but am fairly experienced with comunity fish and basic cichlids like convicts.

I have recently purchased a rather lovely triangular aquarium to sit in the corner of the living room. it's not a perfect triangle but has two parts that come out to join onto the front face. dims are 90cm x 90cm for the two wall sections, the face is 100cm and the two side sections are 20cm each. I'm guessing it's about 400ltr in capacity.

now this will be a cichlid tank, but the big question is what cichlids will go in?
I've had convicts before in the past but found them too small. what I got my eye's on is a breading pair of Blue Acara's or in simular size colouration (blue/green/orange's) and maybe two small breading cichlids but NOT convicts, the smaller cich's should compliment the larger pair.

I'd also like to have a few cory's and maybe a pleco too. any advice will be gratefully apreciated.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tank is going to be in the living room (ornamental in nature), Acaras might not be the best option as they are very messy fish in general. They wreck plants and decorations and love to dig up the substrate.

Do you know what your water specs are - specifically pH? If you have a higher pH (7.6+) you might consider African cichlids. Colourful, active and most folks who see them think they are marine fish. They make a great focal point for a living room and your odd tank dimensions shouldn't effect their behavior. You also have a good assortment of sizes to choose from.
Pestey
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nt sure as to the pH level as of yet as I have just got the aquarium and still have to buy the filters etc. this aquarium is the focal point apart from the tv Laughing

on the african cichlid part. it's a very good idea considering I was allways led to belive that the bigger variety of cichlids were mainly south american. but if this is not the case then this will be a avenue I will seriously consider, also the point you made of looking like marine fish "persay" is very appealing.

thanks for the info.

Pestey
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Test the water from the source (tap, hose, etc.) and see what the pH is. There are ways of keeping a consistently higher pH and the water buffered, but you may not need to if the water from the tap is 7.6 or higher.

Try looking into Peacocks from Lake Malawi. Most grow to 6" (and they can grow quickly). You will have to do your homework though. There are some specific compatibility issues with different species. I have seen wonderfully colourful set ups where Peacocks are mixed with smaller mbunas - but I cannot comment on that sort of set up specifically as I have never experienced it myself. And also, a Jewel is a gorgeous larger fish but can be very, very aggressive.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless this tank is 28" deep it won't hold 400 litres and it's actual volume is rather important.

If it is tall you need to consider how to reach heavy decor - wood may be safer than rocks and it is a nice size for Discus if your water suits them.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Sue is spot on as usual.

If you have experience with community fish and some cichlids, Discus would be a natural progression. Very demanding but also very rewarding and quite beautiful. And they also would get on just fine with a group of cories and a small pleco.

Lower pH - Discus Higher pH - African Cichlids
Pestey
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the info.

I've tried to find out on the net the actual capacity using converters etc but none have the option of a triangle, they have the ovious rectangle and even hexagonal but not one for me.

if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be gratefull.
better to be spot on than way off on the capacity.

my girlfriend is trying to get me breading angelfish again. fair enough they made a fair bit of money but imo they are too common, even the pure black with red eye's are.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like this?

A area:
base * height * 1/2
=90 * 90 * 1/2
=4050 cm^2

B area:
Average length * width
113.5 * 20 = 2270 cm^2

4050+2270 = 6320 cm^2 area

You just need to multiply that by the height of the tank to find out what the nominal volume is (remembering that this doesn't account for glass thickness and volume taken by any substrate and decor).
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.06(Thu)2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html
Pestey
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.06(Thu)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!! exactly that shape, and the link is bang on what I needed. it says that my volume is 397ltr.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: