Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Blood parrot advice needed. Setting up tank.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
calvo15
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.01(Sat)21:19    Post subject: Blood parrot advice needed. Setting up tank. Reply with quote

My nephew gave me a blood parrot. I have a 29 gallon tank he can live in for a while as he's growing. I am looking for suggestions. As I was reading up on the fish I discovered controversy about these fish but I still want to give him a home as he grows. I am looking for advice in set up and companions and just any good advice. Thank
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very glad to read that you want to give this fish a good home. I am not a fan of these sort of mutations/hybrids, but if I ended up with one as a gift I would have the same thoughts as you do.

I have very limited personal experience. I do know that they can grow upwards of 7 to 8 inches so I would think a 29 gal. would be the smallest for one fish. These fish also have very small mouths and from what I have read there is a good deal of waste food at feeding that finds the bottom of the tank uneaten. This could easily lead to water quality issues so a weekly vacuum and water change would be very important.

If you are planning to upgrade tank size, I have also read that these fish are very compatible with most community-type species (unlike their cichlid lineage). Their smaller mouths and odd bodies make it very difficult for them to be aggressive. The one thing I would suggest is not to get another one. Although the males have been sterile in the past, another recent article I read noted more and more accounts of these fish successfully breeding in home aquariums.
calvo15
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am cycling the tam with two adolescent plattys. I will update with photos. MAybe a good bottom feeding scavenger would be a good idea? I will definitely not get another one. I'll stay with this guy. His name is Jake.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: