Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cribensis not eating, staying hidden in his coconut
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
BossEd
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.24(Fri)10:51    Post subject: Cribensis not eating, staying hidden in his coconut Reply with quote

My cribensis hasn't been eating for about 5 days now. He's staying in his coconut hole and not coming out. Every now and again he's taking a peak outside.

The trigger of this is most likely my CO2 setup I've been having trouble with. The pH Has gone from ~7.8 to 7.2 back to 7.8 .. and now finaly stable back at 7.2

He seems to have a swollen mouth (it looks bigger then normal and is grey-ish pale). He's had this before when I hooked up the co2 for the first time and recovered nicely after a few days.

Since he's not eating or even coming out of his hole I now see two possible outcomes.

1) he's going to die (or is already dead I haven't seen him yet today)
2) I do something drastic like capture him, put him in an isolation box (a small plastic box I think being sold to breed guppys in.. so it's not very big and shares the same water as the tank) and give him food in there.

I'm not too fond of either options, but I want to do what I can to keep him alive.

ps. I know the pH is pretty low for a cychlid but this is how it's going to be. I'm also convinced it's the change in pH that's the trigger in this case and not the pH itself. The cribensis has lived in this tank with this pH for several months before without problem.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.24(Fri)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the pH is pretty high for a Kribensis which is a river fish and not a rift lake cichlid.

Unstable pH is very stressful to a fish.

Can you slow down the CO2 output?
BossEd
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.24(Fri)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pH is computerized, so yes, I can change the output. I however want the tank to be stable at about this rate (for the plants and as anti-algae measure), which it has been now for 5 days (since he's gotten ill).
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.24(Fri)15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH changes caused my CO2 injection are not usually stressful to fish/shrimp.

I keep shrimp in a CO2 injected aquarium, and the pH will fluctuate almost a full point over the course of a day, and my shrimp could not be happier.
BossEd
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.24(Fri)17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am convinced the pH changes from the last month (twice) were the (in)direct trigger, I've seen the krib's mouth get swollen before after the co2 went busted.

But aside from whether or not the co2 is either a direct or indirect cause, how do I deal with the krib.? I can't (won't) let him commit suicide in his coconut.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.25(Sat)2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else is in the tank?
BossEd
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.25(Sat)5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 congo tetras
2 smaller tetras
1 labeo bicolor
1 electric yellow cychlid
plants
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: