Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Willie's Various Fishy Pics/Adventures [SALTY!]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.23(Thu)10:05    Post subject: Willie's Various Fishy Pics/Adventures [SALTY!] Reply with quote

Well, I decided I'd post some various fish pics that I have from 2010. I started my research in May 2010 surveying the Ocmulgee River, GA. for Robust Redhorse (Moxostoma robustum). Briefly, they are a very large sucker fish (Family Catastomidae) that was presumed extinct. In the 90's a specimen was "rediscovered" in the Oconee River near where I grew up. Since, they have using Oconee brood stock to collect eggs and sperm and started large captive propagation programs, and stocking juveniles into presumed historic rivers (Savannah, Oconee/Altamaha, and Pee Dee/Yadkin Rivers). So, in short, I am looking at the Ocmulgee River population to see if stocking efforts have been successful. (It is much more complicated than that, but I will spare you the 38 pages I have written on the subject for my project proposal).

So anyway, I figured I'd share a few pics of some of the species of fish I have taken pictures of. With the method of sampling I use, you will not see many tiny fish (<6-7 inches), and I will not bother scooping fish that are bigger then my net. So here are a few a the fish that I found to be photo worthy because of color, size for the species, etc.

Because I am a sunfish nut, I'll start with the Centrarchids while my other photos upload to the internet (I use Webshots btw). These are all males.

Longear Sunfish (Lepomis megalotis)
Very pretty, but introduced into this river. They have a very strong population and usually max out around 6-7 inches.

Big 'un for around here^

Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)

Bluegill X Longear Hybrid (L. macrochirus X L. megalotis)

Last edited by UncleWillie on 2011.01.24(Mon)20:44; edited 3 times in total
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.23(Thu)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redbreast sunfish (Lepomis auritus)

Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus)

Spotted sunfish (Lepomis punctatus)
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.23(Thu)10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

We encounter largemouth, spotted, shoal, and redeye bass on this river.

Spotted bass (Micropterus punctulatus). Introduced to the river (as if they don't already have enough bass species), and out-competing the prettier, native shoal and redeye bass.

Shoal bass (Micropterus cataractae)

Spotted X Shoal hybrid (Arg! Lot's of research going on presently about the effects of spotted bass introduction on the native bass populations due to hybridization)

Redeye bass (Micropterus coosae)

White crappie (Pomoxis anularis)

Black crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus)

The only sunfish we encountered that I did not take pics of was redear sunfish and largemouth bass.
More pics to come, but this should wet the whistle until I can post other fishy/landscape pics.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.23(Thu)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I catch a lot of these species in the spring river! Where is this river/what river is it?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.23(Thu)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "bigger than your net", do you mean the net thats in the second last picture? If so, bloody hell, there must be some big 'uns in there!
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.23(Thu)18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

59, these were all caught in the Ocmulgee River, which is middle Georgia - kind of the lower piedmont / upper Atlantic coastal plain. I'd imagine you catch the bluegill, warmouth and longear sunfish and the crappies too. Redeye and shoal bass are endemic to Georgia (a bit of eastern Alabama too). The redeye bass (even though my pics doesn't show it) are beautiful. They have red margins on the caudal, anal and soft portion of the dorsal. They also have nice greens and blue to them. They don't get large and make very cool aquarium fish if you don't want a tank-buster. 90 gallons will due.

Unissuh, yeah, that's the dipnet I use each day. I say I don't bother scooping fish that are larger, but the robust redhorse often fill the entire net bag depth and weight 10 lbs +. I'll have to post pics of the suckers soon (after all, they are the reason I am out there). I don'nt try to net longnose gar, although cool, I don't feel like messing with them just to get a pic. I know there are some record longnose gar in the river... huge!

Here is a tub full of suckers. Most of these are spotted suckers. Don't worry, they aren't dead, just stunned. In the spring and fall season we usaully averaged a little under 200 suckers per day, averaging about 120 suckers per day in the summer. I weigh and measure each sucker I come across.

My not-so trusty stead ...
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.25(Sat)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of research are you doing on the suckers?

I'd never heard of suckers, so I looked them up...... they're cuter than I expected. Smile

Love the pictures, Unclewillie! Thanks for sharing.Smile
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.12.27(Mon)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a priceless contribution to the forum my friend Razz fantastic! It would be great if you could make some underwater shots to see their actual habitat.

Well done Very Happy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.29(Wed)10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rales, In short, I am monitoring a population of stocked robust redhorse in the Ocmulgee River. Because they are very few of them, and they inhabitat deep, fast water, they are very hard to catch. Consequently, current population estimates have the potential to be biased and very inaccurate at predicted robust redhorse abundance. My project is to survey the entire project area multiple times within a season, for 5 seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring) and use the data I collect on the suckers, and the habitat (water quality, substrate, velocity, turbidity, etc) to use hierarchical models to determine site occupancy of robust redhorse. We use this occupancy data and detection probabilities for each fish to try to more accurately estimate robust redhorse populations. I'm afraid I cannot get too much more in depth, and bore everyone. But I figured I'd write enough so that folks who are interested in the "nerdy" details could go look up some of this stuff. I will only be posting pics and more fun stuff rather than the painful details of the project.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.29(Wed)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusko, Thank you very much. I will certainly be posting more pics when I get a bit more time after the new year. I will definitely have to post pictures of the suckers soon. I do not have underwater pics of my project or on that river, BUT I do have some underwater pics of a few snorkel trips I did for fun over the summer and fall in North Georgia and SE Tennessee. I will be sure to post those as well. Cheers.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: