Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Amano shrimp
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Zelgadis
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.23(Thu)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have concerns over the difference in water between the tanks. Both fish have reputations for not caring much about the water but they've both been in that 2g about 2 weeks now. For now, I'm going to focus on trying to make them more comfortable in the 2g(and more healthy) and then try to move them.

Also, while I'm not sure if the guppy and betta would get along with the adult platy, I know they'd both eat the frys. So, even if I convince my sister to transfer them(which I think I have), I will have to wait until they're big enough to fend for themselves. My sister actually tried to argue with me by pointing out how the stores like to keep betta in those tiny little jars. I tried to point out how that was basically torture and she ignored me or at least acted like it. After the guppy died, she's been a bit a more convinced of how dangerous the water conditions in the 2g are. She's now doing daily water changes instead of just occasional ones. We've been leaving the light on it's night setting full time. It won't make the plants too happy but it keeps the water from getting cold without making it too hot. I'll try to give the plants some off time for the light during the day but I don't want the water to dip down to 72F again.

I'm concerned about the plants in the 14g. Ever since I switched to fluorescent bulbs and started adding less than 1ml of Flourish Excel a day, the java moss has started to die. Before, it was getting greener. I'm going to completely stop the Flourish Excel and if the moss continues to die, I'll switch the nearest bulb for one of the incandescent bulbs. I thought java moss liked stronger light sources though. Confused

I'm not doing daily water changes with the 14g anymore but I do test it regularly and change the water every few days even if nothing spikes. I want to shorten the cycle time as much as possible and don't see the point in changing the water more than twice a week even if everything is safe. Also, some good news is that the ammonia test today stayed yellow. It had been coming back as 0.5ppm for almost a week now. Does this mean it's cycled or is there more to come? The nitrites and nitrates remain zero. I did a water change right after the test to try to get rid of some of the Flourish Excel. I had already put some in the tank before noticing the moss was getting worse.

If you're wondering the reason my sister put them in the 2g in the first place, it's because of advice from the fish store. The local fish stores don't give the best advice. They also don't seem to care much for the conditions of their fish. Sad

My current goals are to stabilize the two tanks. Let the fry that survive grow up. Move the fish from the 2g to the 14g. After both tanks are fully cycled and the fish are settled, I'll see about whether I can add anything to either tank.

As for my concerns about being gone for the weekend. I might cut the trip short just to avoid being snowed in and unable to return for an unknown number of days.
tracylloyd1
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally recommend buying a water treatment called "Stress Zyme" and "Cycle". Basically, the stress zyme immediatley reduces ammonia levels and keep it low, whilst the cycle corrects anything else that is wrong with your tank/s.

As far as Amano Shrimp go, they are an absolute delight to have in any tank, but you should wait until the water is stable until you put them in as they can be fragile with things like that.

My favourite catfish/algae eaters are oto's and Kuhli Loaches. These are both gorgeous to look at and really do clean the tank. (before, my biggest tank was filthy, so I added 2 Oto's and 2 Kuhli's and the tank was clear again within 1 week, best of all, they do not cost the world.

Maybe you would benefit from either selling or giving away some of the baby platies as you could quite possibly get bored of having all the same fish. Also, there may be too many in the tank as Platies are not the smallest species of fish.

After you've added the Shrimps, you should wait atleast another 2 weeks before adding more as the tank might not have enough time to adjust to the rising bacteria levels...

Hope this helps and your fish all survive... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stress zyme & cycle do not work. They have been on the market for decades and many fish have died as a result of people believing in them. Sad

One option you could try is floating gallon containers in the 14g for the guppy & Betta - at least that way the temperature will be stable and you can do daily water changes when you change the main tank's water.
tracylloyd1
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Stress zyme & cycle do not work. They have been on the market for decades and many fish have died as a result of people believing in them. Sad

One option you could try is floating gallon containers in the 14g for the guppy & Betta - at least that way the temperature will be stable and you can do daily water changes when you change the main tank's water.

I've been using them for about 2 weeks, because someone mentioned it to me, but I trust you more... What would you recommend to keep ammonia levels dow and the pH/nitrite/nitrate correct...

Thanks, Very Happy
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a fishless cycle or a boost of filter material from a mature tank. ( Cycle has the wrong bacteria).

If you see any ammonia you need to do a large water change - 40 -50% ASAP and you may need to do this daily for weeks.

Forget pH - a stable pH is better for the fish than a yo-yoing one.

The only correct ammonia & nitrite readings are zero. Nitrates can be up to 20 or 40 ppm depending on the hardiness of the fish.
tracylloyd1
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.24(Mon)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
I would recommend a fishless cycle or a boost of filter material from a mature tank. ( Cycle has the wrong bacteria).

If you see any ammonia you need to do a large water change - 40 -50% ASAP and you may need to do this daily for weeks.

Forget pH - a stable pH is better for the fish than a yo-yoing one.

The only correct ammonia & nitrite readings are zero. Nitrates can be up to 20 or 40 ppm depending on the hardiness of the fish.

OK then, thanks a lot... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Zelgadis
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.25(Tue)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update on what happened with my tank. The 14 gallon pretty much completed its cycle before I left for the weekend. The ammonia and nitrites have remained zero since then. The nitrates are finally starting to go up but I keep up with weekly water changes.

As it happens, I did get snowed in and wasn't able to return for nearly a week. When we got back, the fish in my tank were fine but all of my Egeria Densa was dead(well, I did lose about half the platy fry but I'm not sure my absence had any effect on that). The remaining guppy in the 2g tank was dead and the betta was alive but in bad shape(the ammonia was way up there).

In the past couple weeks, I had to use crushed coral to bring my pH back up(currently about the same as my tap water; 7.4-7.6) after I put a log in the tank(14g) that made my pH bottom out.

As for what's in my tank now, I have 3 adult platys, 2 of the baby platys survived and are big enough that the big ones don't seem to be able to eat them anymore, 2 oto catfish(I had 3 but one was weak and died when I added the crushed coral), 10 cherry red shrimp (I added them yesterday along with about 11 plants). As for the plants, 3 well developed bunches of water sprite(they've nearly covered my tank), a few small stalks of Egeria densa that somehow survived my usage of Flourish Excel, and 4 stalks of a plant that was labelled "Foxtail" but more closely resembles a thin leaved Cabomba. I received tiny starter versions of these plants with the 10 shrimp yesterday: Cabomba, Duckweed, Pennywort, Anacharis(aka Egeria Densa, aka Brazilian water weed), Amazon Frogbit(in pretty bad shape from 7 days w/ USPS), Najas(also in bad shape but showing new growth), Hornwort, Hygrophila Polysperma, Ludwigia(may be in even worse shape than the Frogbit), Java moss and S
tracylloyd1
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.26(Wed)1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll definitely have tot ry that, since it worked so well for you, although, it's sad to hear about the fish dying... Crying or Very sad

Can you get it anywhere Question

Only because I've been in loads of fish shops and haven't seen it (although I don't look for it)...
Zelgadis
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.26(Wed)2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fish stores have it but a lot won't. I only have one store in my entire town that carries it(none of the chain stores seem to carry it). However, you can order off of websites like amazon.com. The Seachem website has a store locator that might help. www.seachem.com

Be sure to get a test kit to monitor ammonia levels. You'll know your tank has finished cycling if the ammonia and nitrites read zero. My nitrites never spiked though. So, if your ammonia hits zero and, after a week later, your nitrites are still zero, I would say you have successfully cycled your tank. You're probably better off getting a liquid test kit over the strips because it's cheaper and lasts longer.

I forgot to add that if you want to add bacteria to your tank use either Tetra SafeStart or Seachem Stability. Either of those can help give your cycle a boost.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: