Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Caton's 20g high-ish tech tank.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I was refering to when I mentioned making your own, with quality parts. None of the ones that you buy from retail stores are truely any good. Wether it be a crappy needle valve or solenoid.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/regulator.htm
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of making Rex Grigg regulators and such DIY, personally, I don't want to mess with it, and I have no experience in doing it. Maybe in a year or so, I will make one but for now I don't want to deal with it. I am not going to be spending $200 JUST into the regulator, I am spending $100 on the regulator, needle valve, ETC. and around $100 for a 20# tank. I have looked at both the benefits of dual stage and single stage. For MY purposes, a single stage is all I need. That plant list is what I MIGHT have, not what I is for sure. I might even just have three species, with glosso. Please don't tell me what I HAVE to buy, it's my money, I can do with it what I want.

Heck, I don't want to build a regulator because I don't want my house to be a bomb...I mean building something to keep 1500psi of gas is ridiculous and dangerous.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
Please don't tell me what I HAVE to buy, it's my money, I can do with it what I want.

Heck, I don't want to build a regulator because I don't want my house to be a bomb...I mean building something to keep 1500psi of gas is ridiculous and dangerous.

You don't have to be a smart@ss, I never TOLD you IN ANY of my post you HAVE to buy or USE anything.

Bomb? Seriously? You can get that with store bought or put together. Just don't take a monkey wrech and knock off the Regulator and you will be fine.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link for the Victor re-build.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/72328-victor-dual-stage-regulator-pimp-club.html

also the most important thing on a regulator is PRECISION (needle valve). You can't get that with anything you buy from a retailer for 100.00 or less. I was just trying to help because I didn't want to spend the 200.00 either. And I was just telling you HOW I didn't spend 200.00 (regulator+silenod+bubble counter and cylinder)
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then you're not looking in the right places.. Put a system together yourself.
I wouldn't make my own system unless I had bomb insurance IMO
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak dylpickles wrote:
Quote:
Then you're not looking in the right places.. Put a system together yourself.
I wouldn't make my own system unless I had bomb insurance IMO

There are (I guess) several misconceptions about co2. It doesn't BLOW up. Unless you throw it to the ground like these kids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGGrWKJDcc

Yea the regulator might shoot off if you don't properly tighten it, but that can AGAIN happen when someone DOESN'T follow instruction. IF you follow INSTRUCTIONS then there are no mishaps.

Also it is against the law to carry a Co2 cylinder in your car with the regulator attached, just an FYI.

if you know how to Hammer a nail, unscrew a nut or tighten a nut then you can perform this EASY task..Just follow the directions and tighten everything (like WHO wouldn't) and it works just like the ones you buy....but better.

You can blow a Milwaukee regulator just as easy as one put together. They all have blow out valves btw.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they don't blow up, they de-pressurize. I know somebody who had it happen to them personally, his leg got burnt. If you are saying buying everything separate and not in a kit like what GLA sells, then sure! I agree. But if you are saying making your own regulator, it is not as simple as screwing in a bolt. To tell you the truth, most the time when buying regulators, the more you spend, the better. For me, I would rather spend some extra money than have all my fish die and having to spend some more $$$ than if I went the cheap way.

To tell you the truth. I will not be coming back to this forum. It has been good. But there are some people (like you, Dale) who try to start arguments, and insist on things that I can do other ways. I have always liked the advice given here, but now it has gotten not fun, hardly anybody gets on here and quite frankly, I really just don't want to deal with you. So thank you everybody, I give a special thanks to Diademhill for helping me out the most and putting up with my stupid question, 59fifty for just being awesome, Katienaha for having also having common sense, and just everybody who is not rude. I seriously regret leaving, however I am fed up and taking my business elsewhere. Again, I thank the forum for getting me started and giving me a good education, but recently, it has not been pleasant.

Thank you,
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To tell you the truth. I will not be coming back to this forum. It has been good. But there are some people (like you, Dale) who try to start arguments, and insist on things that I can do other ways. I have always liked the advice given here, but now it has gotten not fun, hardly anybody gets on here and quite frankly, I really just don't want to deal with you. So thank you everybody, I give a special thanks to Diademhill for helping me out the most and putting up with my stupid question, 59fifty for just being awesome, Katienaha for having also having common sense, and just everybody who is not rude. I seriously regret leaving, however I am fed up and taking my business elsewhere. Again, I thank the forum for getting me started and giving me a good education, but recently, it has not been pleasant.
YEs I second this. Thank you to everyone who has helped me grow with my tanks and become a more responsible fish keeper. I have not been coming back to this forum. Now that Caton is leaving idk if I will come back. Thanks for all the help every one. (Oh and Caton, you left my name out of the list.... Confused) ahaha Very Happy
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.21(Tue)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious?

Arguments? I have never been in a argument on this board. I know others that are a little over the top. But Caston in all of our communications there has never been any banter. Sorry if someone else "upset" you but it wasn't I.

Now back to your reply.

Caston:
"If you are saying buying everything separate and not in a kit like what GLA sells, then sure! I agree. But if you are saying making your own regulator"

Yes, a few post back I said Peice Mill that means "buying everything separate" No you can not "build" your own regulator because you would need an aluminum cast and melted aluminum. I am speaking of buying one, like off ebay Dual Stage" and buy "quality" parts and put it together (like in the rex link" Spend 100.00 on putting one togther and now you have one that you can sell (down the road if needed) for twice the price.

Caston:
"I would rather spend some extra money than have all my fish die and having to spend some more $$$ than if I went the cheap way."
Expensive or cheap you can kill fish. That is why you buy a drop checker. But here is the problem with the drop checker. It comes with the chemical that you need to determine co2 levels however the instructions tell you to fill with tank water. No No No ... You must buy calibrated 4dKH solution, this can be bought at several online plant sites or Ebay.

I hope this helps you or anyone else to not make the same mistakes I made. You see that's one of the main purposes of a forum to help other, show off what you created, share experiances. TO obtain knowledge.

Good luck in your ventures, and if you are interested in a planted forum I can help there. I agree hardly anyone gets on here and that's why I fill that void with another forum.
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.21(Tue)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 2 cents worth -

C02 is dangerous. That is a simple fact. My dad does home beer making and has a system set up to carbonize the beer. To make the system he planned for six months and spent several hundred dollars, because a system failure of a C02 tank in an enclosed space, such as a house, could kill the people living there. Have you ever seen a C02 tank fail? Its pretty messy, they can shoot through aluminum, it is like a rocket. I would usually be willing to try and make something DIY, but not something that could risk my life.

This forum moves very slowly compared to many others, I may still visit occasionally, but I found a forum that replies much quicker, and I can meet everyone who is on there in person. If you ever want to talk to me I am on this site -
http://www.minnfish.com/forum/
Under the same username, KhiaraFish

Best regards to all,
Khiara

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: