Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Plant ID (confirmation really)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Suzie Q
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.16(Thu)13:49    Post subject: Plant ID (confirmation really) Reply with quote

I made a major newbie planted tank owner. I have Java Moss, Taiwan Moss?, and I think Christmas Moss?...and I put them all in a 10 planted tank.Java I bought. The other 2 I believe I got in with Red Cherry Shrimp. If I have Christmas moss, then I might have traded it plant for plant, I just don't remember where I got them from. Now they are all mixed together and I'm soooo not liking the look. I moved most of the moss into a 5g and slowly and painstakingly pulling out the ones that look alike. I have decided to make "moss-species only" tank...separating each of the 3 into tanks of their own. I have enough to sell but due to the mixture I don't plan on selling it.

I also have a stemmed plant that I forgot what type it is...

Am I right in the ID of these 2 plants?

Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' (Sunset Hygrophila)?

This on has Hornwart in the Picture also...but this is what it looks like in the tank:

Taxiphyllum alternans (Taiwan moss)?

Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.16(Thu)16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to the Taiwan moss, no to the sunset hygro. Unless it was grown emersed (out of water) it isn't sunset. Sunset's generally have more red, even in its extremely green state, there is red in the "veins". I couldn't say though because I need a clear shot of a leaf. However the stem structure and leaf spacing also confirm my theory. Any possible way to get a close-up of a leaf?

-Caton
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.16(Thu)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The out of tank one could be a stunted H. polysperma 'Rosenervig', the one of 'in tank' looks more like Rotala rotundifolia or similar sp.

The moss could be Taiwan, could also be a similar looking one e.g. xmas or mini Taiwan, I can't tell the difference.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.17(Fri)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotala indica

Suzie Q
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.17(Fri)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleJr wrote:
Rotala indica

That is exactly what mine looks like!!! Thanks!!!

Quote:
Yes to the Taiwan moss, no to the sunset hygro. Unless it was grown emersed (out of water) it isn't sunset. Sunset's generally have more red, even in its extremely green state, there is red in the "veins". I couldn't say though because I need a clear shot of a leaf. However the stem structure and leaf spacing also confirm my theory. Any possible way to get a close-up of a leaf?

-Caton

I only pulled the plant just long enough to take pix of it. Once it reaches the top of the water it just kinda "lays over". It looks MUCH better in the 75g. It doesn't have to be pruned as often Very Happy

As far as the moss...I really think it is Tawian.

I think I DO have Christmas Moss also. I have an unhealthy bunch of moss in a 10g tank (unhealthy due to me not cleaning the tank for 2 months...shame on me)...tank cleaned weekly now so it is improving...plus the Hornworts got WAY out of control in that tank....it was over 1/2 the tank deep. It is now removed from this tank and added to my "maybe" true Black Bar Endler's tank.

Thanks so much for the help. I'll post Pix of the other "mysterious" moss I have once it looks a little better. Pix that I have found on the net...looks a lot like it.

(just a side note...I posted this on a "plant" forum that I am on a few days before posting it here...lots of hits...no answers)... Sad
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.17(Fri)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzie Q wrote:

(just a side note...I posted this on a "plant" forum that I am on a few days before posting it here...lots of hits...no answers)... Sad

I would like to which one.....PM me if you can
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.17(Fri)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's not R. indica, that picture Dale provided is probably incorrectly labeled. It's commonly thought that R. indica is a synonym to R. rotundifolia and the names have been used interchangeably for years now, but as far as I know this is actually incorrect. The plant sold as Ammania sp "Bonsai" is probably the real R. indica. It looks very similar in the emersed growth form, but R. rotundifolia loses it's round leaves when it grows submersed and looks like the pictures provided.

Accepted names for plants and what they are most currently ID'd as is changing all the time, not even sure if I have it right.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
Pretty sure it's not R. indica, that picture Dale provided is probably incorrectly labeled.

OK here is another one.

Unless the author of my book is wrg, this is how I IDed this plant.

rotundiflia (which isnt named in my book) looks identical to indica

And this image names both. (rotala-indica-rotundifolia)

unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said...accepted names are changing all the time. Most sites/books etc do not continually update their database, even here in the gallery java moss is still named Vesicularia dubyana & that was ID'd as Taxiphyllum barbieri years ago. R. rotundifolia/indica look pretty much identical emersed, but all those pictures are of submersed R. rotundifolia and the sites just haven't caught up with the ID'ing of species. If you do a quick search on aquatic plant sites like APC or plantedtank you will probably find heaps of threads that tell you exactly the same thing as I just said; forums are typically the most up to date "databases".
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.20(Mon)17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
forums are typically the most up to date "databases".

Agreed.. My book was copyrighted in '08. And I know things have changed since then.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: