Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Kribensis Fry!!!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.11(Sat)17:12    Post subject: Kribensis Fry!!! Reply with quote

After several weeks of quarreling between my male and female Kribensis, I now have about 2 dozen Krib fry. I knew something was up when the female allowed the male to swim in the middle and lower levels of the tank (she usually would take a chunk out of his fins). After a few days of relatively friendly behavior, the female Krib began spending most of her time in the cave decoration I have while the male patrolled the area. Three days later, I spotted a bunch of orangish-red dots in the cave. About 5 days later, I now have little Krib fry swimming at the bottom of the cave. They are not completely free-swimming, so when one occasionally "tumbles" out of the cave, the mother will suck him up and blow him back into the cave. It is really interesting and fun to watch. They have done a REALLY, REALLY good job at protecting the territory from the Tiger Barbs. They each can easily chase two or three barbs to the very top of the tank in just a couple of seconds. Below, I have pics of the Kribs. I will keep you guys updated on the growth of the fry.

On the first image, you can see the female next to the cave. On the second image, you can see the male (left) and the female (right) Kribensis near the cave.

rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.11(Sat)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Smile Were you trying to get them to breed?
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.11(Sat)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
Congrats! Smile Were you trying to get them to breed?

I was hoping that they would breed, but I did not do anything special for them to get them to breed. I keep the water temperature between 79*F & 80*F, and I feed them a blend of Sera Vipan, Tetra Color flake food, and O.S.I. Brine Shrimp pellets. Besides the varied diet, I really don't give them any treats or special care.
I am definitely excited about them breeding, though! Very Happy
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.13(Mon)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The male and female Kribs have taken the fry out of the cave this evening. There is probably around 18-24 of them. The parents are currently moving them around the tank. I would try to take a picture of them, but I do not want to scare them or the parents. They are very good at protecting the young. The female will watch the young for a little bit while the male patrols the bottom 6 inches of the tank, and then they switch. I will post some pics of the fry in a day or two. The bad thing is that I need to clean the tank this week, but I think I will wait until the weekend to do so.
BigShrimp
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.14(Tue)9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be hard to find better parents than kribs , I found that the fry responded to their commands very well also . If danger approached the parents would shimmer and the fry would hit the deck and remain motionless until the danger had past . a lot of other cichid fry seem to have short attention spans which finds them wandering off to get eaten .
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.14(Tue)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the parents and their fry. They have been excellent at protecting them from the other fish. I doubt if they have lost a single one. The first image is of the Male Krib and the fry, and the second is of the female Krib and the fry. The best that I can tell, there is around 2 dozen of them.

By the way, are Krib fry fast growing? I know guppy fry are moderate growers, but do the Krib fry grow faster?

rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.14(Tue)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heehee... Awww... They're so tiny!! Very Happy
BigShrimp
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.15(Wed)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do grow reasonably quickly IMO , they are a good size to start with .
It was funny , I had an albino pair and they'ed throw half albino's and half standard coloured fry . I found in a community tank the albino's never made it due to standing out too much but the standards usually got through fine . Crying or Very sad
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.17(Fri)8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had about 2 dozen to start with, but now I only have between 10 and 12. It looks like the Tiger Barbs get one or two of them each day. The problem is that when I feed the fish, the Krib parents temporarily abandon the fry, so then a Tiger Barb or two gets one of the offspring. I hope at least a couple of them make it. They have gotten bigger though. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: