Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Neon Tetra breeding behavior
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.11(Sat)12:12    Post subject: Neon Tetra breeding behavior Reply with quote

How can I tell if neon tetras are in breeding behavior or just acting oddly?

After a water change today, I noticed one of the fish swimming very close to the others and sort of dosey-doing with them a lot. It's pretty interesting to watch because they just keep spinning around each other. It doesn't look much like fin-nipping but wanted to check.

I guess I didn't expect any kind of breeding behavior because my pH is between 7.4 and 7.6 which is less than ideal for neons.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.11(Sat)12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will chase and flutter during breeding.

A slightly high pH won't prevent spawning but will make the eggs & fry less viable.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.11(Sat)20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I'm completely unprepared for what might happen if they do manage to produce fry...

If I did want to give these fry the best chance of life, what would I need to do?

Right now I only have the 10 gallon aquarium to house these guys which is also full of snails and shrimp. Will the shrimp/snails eat eggs before they have a chance to hatch?

I could set up a 5 gallon bucket with heater and an old filter, but I don't think I could maintain good water quality for any length of time. I guess I'm totally unprepared right now and trying to find out what I would need if I wanted to house fry in the future.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.12(Sun)3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave the fish and if they spawn they will eat the eggs.

Ultimate recycling as the eggs wouldn't hatch anyway - that is what less viable means. No point even trying to raise fry if you can't do it well.
This means good water volume, soft water and somewhere to put these fish when raised.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: