Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Position of outflow wand/arm...
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.10(Fri)12:36    Post subject: Position of outflow wand/arm... Reply with quote

I'm still playing with the filters on my big tank (135 gln.) to get the best filtering. I still have a couple of dead spots.

Right now I have two Fluval cannister filters running. A 304 and a 403. I have the 304 intake about 8 inches from the back, left side of the tank with that outflow towards the middle of the tank.

The 403 intake is about 15 inches from the back, right side of the tank. That outflow is a wand/arm which I have at the right end of the tank going from front to back (not across the back wall but the side wall) so the outflow goes directly out into the tank. (I hope that makes sense.)

My question at the moment is the directionality of the wand/arm outflow holes. I can move it to spray out directly across the top of the water or point it down to the ground or anyplace in between. What would be the best position for that outflow of water to keep dead spaces from happening?

I've been moving it around and seem to always have some dead spots.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.01.04(Tue)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead spots are virtually impossible to avoid. What you can do is more or less what you seem to be doing: move the intake/outflow scheme around every now and then so the dead spots aren't always in the same place.

Also, you should have your fish population's preferences in mind when configuring the general water flow around the tank. River species enjoy higher, well defined currents crossing the tank length, whereas backwater species prefer calmer currents flowing back and forth.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: