Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
disease or diaster that is the ?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JD's Rule
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.05(Sun)15:29    Post subject: disease or diaster that is the ? Reply with quote

Hello everyone Embarassed , sorry to say but iv'e been gone for a time ..however my JD's (male now 6 ins. or a little bit more Female 4.75 ins.- 5 ins.} both in 75 gallons with caves and smaller rocks on gravel substrate , fake plants with 2 very beat live plants and a 16inch l x 3/4 inw areation bar(on the bottom at back side) & 2 pieces of drift wood - store bought. It has 2 HOB Auqa Techs rated at 30-60 GPH per hour I suppse but but I've had no problems with them Question since begining work.A 200 watt all glass aquarium heater keeps temp.at 74-78 constantly.A standard hood with with 4 , 12inch floresent bulbs(white light) Water prameters are PH6.5-6.9.I am shooting for seven UNLESS advised , Ammonia is at 0 and holding steady now for 6months . I'm hoping to get for one for Christmas , a kit for nitrite and nitrate since they are kind of pricey , all I can find are sold as part of a master test kit for all water parameters that would affect your fish . My? is what do you all think about why the male is beginning to twitch his head as though he were having a spasm or a siezure. It doesn't last long maybe a second or two , but I am worried about him . The female doesn't do this.Any thoughts wil be appreciated .Thank You for your time and Merry Christmas! Oh I do 18 gallons of vaccuming and water change every 7-10 days.Take out carbon from filter pads every 7 days and rinse filter bag every 14 dsys . Question And how do I test the rocks to make sure they'er good for the water paras. ? I alternate sides everyother time I vaccum and filter bags are rinsed in that water. I hope this is the correct forum :oops:ooh and I have fed them cichlid pellets. flakes, crickets ,earthworms .now they barely touch the fake food and devour the live food any thoughts? Idea I hope you see this diadumhill you seem to know what you're talking about.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.07(Tue)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you rinse the filter bags, are you doing it in dechlorinated or used tank water?

What sort of ammonia test are you using?

You say that your aiming for a pH of 7... does that mean you're using chemicals to try and alter your pH? What is the natural pH of your water?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
JD's Rule
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.09(Thu)21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
When you rinse the filter bags, are you doing it in dechlorinated or used tank water?

What sort of ammonia test are you using?

You say that your aiming for a pH of 7... does that mean you're using chemicals to try and alter your pH? What is the natural pH of your water?
I use the water I siphon out of the aquarium to rinse out filter bags. my test for ammonia is the drip kind ,freshwater ammonia test kit manufactured by aquarium pharmaceuticals inc. ,my tap water tests out at 7.0 plus or minus .5 as well as I can tell by the color .After a few days the water in the aquarium tests out at 6.0. I've tried using pH up made by Aquarium pharmaceuticals inc. but it doesn't seem to work Confused . A few days before my last post I fed them crickets then the next day I started them on freeze dried krill and they are more active than they have been in a while Very Happy . What in your opinion is the prefered pH for JD's? They do seem happy and active Shocked now so should I do a larger water change and stop using the pH up? thank you for your time and I will use your advice.Eagerly awaiting your reply. thanks again and happy fishkeeping!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.10(Fri)9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely stop using the pH up. It'll just make things unstable.

I'd be interested in nitrate values on this tank. When nitrate is high, it can cause the pH to "crash" and that could be why you are seeing such a drastic drop in pH. You may have to step up the water changes.

It might be a good idea to bring a sample of your tank water, just before you do a change, in to your LFS and ask them to do a test. Ask them for ACTUAL numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
JD's Rule
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.10(Fri)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nikelodeon79. I will stop using the pH up and do a 20 -25 gallon water change in the morning. Do you think the (store bought crickets from my favorite LFS are safe )?I'll soon be getting me a Nitrate test kit,the drip kind . I've read here that the strip kind are not very reliable.What is your opinion?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.10(Fri)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strip test kits are a piece of crap. Get API liquid, thats what I like.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: