Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
canister confusion
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
HottieFreak82
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.03(Fri)22:33    Post subject: canister confusion Reply with quote

Okay, I have read several places you CAN NOT over filter, correct? Well I was given ( for free ) new in box, spectacular Laguna canister filter, BUT this being a pond filter is there any problem using it on my 75 gallon freshwater tank? Here is a link to the filter I want to use [url] http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/filters/pfilters1500.php?link=1531 and I was also given this which is in a seperate box
http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/filters/pflomechunderfilt.php?link=154 as an attatchment option? Now from what I have gathered this is optional and is mainly to have clearer water in a larger amount of water and reduce pump clogging/maintainence, now I really don't want to try and hide this huge black box inside my tank. Can/will this canister be OK for my 75 gal. tank, minus the undergravel filter box? this will be the first and much antisipated canister I have ever used, so I'm a little clueless how to start this whole set-up- And my last question; I have read the manual and not clearly stated but pretty sure I'll need a pump which is not included with either products I received, correct? Thanks for your time!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.04(Sat)3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot over filter BUT you can have too much water flow. These are great for large aquariums - 250 gallons plus - but not really usable in small tanks like yours.

FYI the prefilter box is to prevent debris being sucked into the pump which then sends the water into the filter. You are correct - it does need a pump too.
I used to run one on my 6x2x3' tank alongside the sump but decided it was overkill and it is now working on a 1000g arowana pond.
HottieFreak82
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.04(Sat)19:32    Post subject: shucks Reply with quote

That's what I was kind of hoping to not be the case but did cross my mind in a smaller size tank the stream of heavy flow could shoot my fish all over they may not be happy or do so well, dang it- so I'm thinking I can sell it and buy a good size canister with the money? I'll ask the gifter just incase, you never know some people get offended by that I suppose- but thanks for your time to input!

btw: 1,000 gal. arowana pond sounds incredible!! love to go bigger, I have a small pond I'm guessing around 40-50 gallons
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: