Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mystery eel
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Washy
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.01(Wed)16:09    Post subject: Mystery eel Reply with quote

Yesterday I purchased a miscellaneous fish which after doing some research I'm pretty sure is a tire track eel, the lady at the store said he would stay small :/. Right now its still small probably only 7 inches and hes not doing well, he wraps himself around the heater near the surface of the aquarium and he has this white stuff protruding from his nose. I'm not sure why he hangs out at the surface and is breathing so fast, I think the water is oxygenated enough since I have two angel fish in the tank and there use to be two more, however all I have for a hiding place is a tight little pipe I put in so I'm going to get a bigger one from Home Depot tomorrow encase the current one is two cramped. Is there any treatment need for the stuff on his nose and is this normal behavior for a newly introduced eel?

Last edited by Washy on 2010.12.01(Wed)19:09; edited 1 time in total
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.01(Wed)17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the water parameters and what else is in the tank?

Tiretrack eels grow larger than your tank! Zigzag eels stay much smaller.

Can you take a photo?
Washy
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.01(Wed)19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a water change before this pic so that's why the snails are swarming

Nitrates are 20 ppm and nitrites are about 0
my pH is around 7.2
also I forgot to mention that he seems to be breathing pretty fast.

Edit:
2 angelfish
1 bristlenose pleco
3 Kuhli loaches
1 bamboo shrimp
3 black tetras
8 rumy nose tetras
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.02(Thu)3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a juvenile Mastacembelus armatus and totally inappropriate for your tank.
More water changes to bring the nitrates lower would help the other fish as the tank is heavily stocked without this baby tankbuster.
Washy
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.02(Thu)6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
That looks like a juvenile Mastacembelus armatus and totally inappropriate for your tank.
More water changes to bring the nitrates lower would help the other fish as the tank is heavily stocked without this baby tankbuster.
but my tank is a 37 gallon, you think its overstocked that much? Yeah I guess I'll re home the eel or take it back. Is there anything I should be doing for the stuff coming out of his nose?
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.02(Thu)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that does look like a Mastacembelus armatus. At 7" (s)he is still young. This fish will grow to 2' or more as it is not a species that is susceptible to stunting. Your tank is far too small - the lady at the store is completely incorrect.

As a rule, these fish need a very dark area to hide in during the day. Some will bury themselves in the substrate but not all of them do this. The pipe might work but it would be better to also dim the lighting on an entire side of the tank (I did this by putting paper note cards on the canopy under the lighting fixture) and placing the pipe there with rocks or plants at the opening for cover. Also - these fish are very, very good at finding tiny spaces in your canopy and escaping from the tank. I remember a 12" juvenile getting out through a sliver of space between the heater cut-out in the canopy and the heater. I was amazed that he could fit.

As far as the white stuff - that is not good. Could be an injury or an illness. The fast breathing is also an indicator that there is an issue. Could be stress but doubtful. This fish definitely should have been quarantined for at least three weeks. Sue is spot on - the water changes are essential right now to reduce the nitrates and the nitrites should read 0.

Can you get a picture of the white discharge? What is the temp. of the tank? Also that substrate is not going to work with an eel. It has to be round otherwise the fish will certainly injure itself.
Washy
Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.02(Thu)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temperature is 80 F, my camera isn't that good so I don't think I can get a clear picture of the white stuff on his nose, but it looks like a thin strand of cotton if that helps. I did escape proof the aquarium, I plugged all the holes and taped the lid. I do have an extra 20 gallon lying around that needs to be set up first but 'm defiantly going to quarantine it.

EDIT: I just checked on it, it actually looks a lot better. There is no longer any white stuff on his nose but I bet there's a good chance it'll come back. I guess now I'm just worried about him breathing so fast. I think he was hanging around the heater because my lights are in the front so theres little light to no light near the top in the back and the heater is nice and warm.

Last edited by Washy on 2010.12.02(Thu)13:20; edited 1 time in total
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.02(Thu)13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just return it to the store - it needs at least 100g and will eat small fish & your shrimp.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.02(Thu)17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with diademhill, unless you get a 100g right now with all the equipment, just return it. Also, tell the store what kind of eel it is so somebody doesn't make the same mistake.
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.10(Mon)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes correct
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: