Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Wisteria Melting?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.28(Sun)13:53    Post subject: Wisteria Melting? Reply with quote

I have several bunches of Wisteria in my 29 Gallon Planted Aquarium. They are all rooted in the gravel and have a total of 48 watts of lighting. The bulbs are both freshwater plant suitable. One bulb is 6700K and the other is 10000K. They both came with a Coralife 2 T-5 bulb fixture I recently purchased. One if the wisteria plants' new growth is shriveled and curled. It looks like a houseplant infested with aphids. I have seen other aquarium plants supposedly do this like Cryptocorynes, but I have not heard nor seen a Wisteria do this. The other plants near it are perfectly fine. I keep the water temp. around 79*-80*F, and the ammonia and pH are fine. It does not make any sense. Confused
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.29(Mon)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it some time, they should perk up. Maybe too low Nitrites? I doubt that, maybe somebody with more knowledge will chime in. But how long have you had them?
Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.29(Mon)0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
Just give it some time, they should perk up. Maybe too low Nitrites? I doubt that, maybe somebody with more knowledge will chime in. But how long have you had them?

I've had them for 2 months. They were in a 5 gallon with 10 or 12 watts of light, and then I moved them to the 29 gallon 3 weeks ago. I have recently cut off the top half of the old plant and then I planted the tops. The tops of the old plant are what I am currently growing. Could that have shocked them?
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.29(Mon)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisteria was my first stem plant that I tried, mine melted at the base (where it meets the substrate) They tend to take a while to root and also have a very delicate stem so you have to be careful when placing in the substate. You can try some root tabs, but Wisteria are not real heavy root feeders like Amazons or crypts. Some consider them to be a easy as Water-Sprites.
spartan plume
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.14(Fri)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use wisteria I float it on the surface for a few weeks until some roots grow, then I remove lower leaves and plant into the substrate.

I usually find it will need dosing with prime or another aquatic plant food after a few weeks just to give it the iron it needs to go off Smile
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: