Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I need help raising my fire eel
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
solox18
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)17:22    Post subject: I need help raising my fire eel Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum, and have taken on what some people have called a "challenge". I have bought a small 6.5 inch fire eel and it is my first eel period. I would like to know just about everything about it I can, such as tank sizes temperature foods etc. I would not have taken this on if I hadnt got such a good deal on him I paid about 10 dollars for him and seems to be healthy but would like to know,also, of any possible diseases or fungus that could occur and how to treat them
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire eels are not difficult and are quite hardy but grow huge, are messy feeders and escape artists.
They are nocturnal but once settled they can be tame. temperature about 26C pH neutral. sandy substrate so they can burrow.
Plants will be uprooted but logs and pipes are good as decor.
A 40g tank will do for a few months and then he'll need a 90 gallon or larger.
They need meaty foods - frozen larvae are probably easiest to feed a baby -and like all predators they produce a lot of waste so water changes are important and a filter rated for more than tank volume is required.

Baby big fish are cheap because the supplies cost a fortune.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

(From the gallery, mostly, but also my aquaria book. Never kept a fire eel personally; not in my size range.)

Fire Eel (Mastacembelus erythrotaenia) - Southeast Asia
Adult Length 46 CM (About a foot and a half)
Tank Size: 400L (At LEAST 100 Gallons... for himself alone)
Temperature Range: 78.8 *F
Preferred pH: 7.0

My book is saying that these eels are fairly aggressive and predatory to smaller fish, but larger fish are okay (as long as those fish aren't that tempermental toward the eel). They need hiding spaces in the tank or they'll stress out. They prefer a softer substrate (sand instead of gravel). Anecdotally, these fish get WAY bigger than that foot and a half I'm quoting from the stat page; you're going to want hundreds of gallons for this guy. They'll want "live" food (freezedried or frozen bloodworms or krill work). I'm also seeing that they have rather long lifespans (author of the book says he had his for five years and that it was a rescue, and that he wound up giving it away.)

Like all large fish, these guys are going to be a bit of a hassle; you need the space for them. What do you already have in the tank with it? What are your tank specs? More importantly... why not get this info BEFORE you spend ten bucks on an eel?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually grow to around three feet long with the odd one growing larger Shocked

I had one years ago.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_O Okay, now they're definitely not in my size range. *scribbles a note in the book*

For the record, I pulled the 46 cm stat off of the gallery link here at Aquahobby. I've noticed some of those numbers seem off anyway. Like where it suggests 40 L for a single neon tetra.
solox18
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats sounds close to what I've been told by the local shop... for now I have him in a 45 gallon with nothing special a large castle decoration for his hiding a standard heater and for now he has gravel...his tank mate is a large gold fish. that is for now of course, I had planned to move him to my 110 gallon that is not in use, but that seems a little small now.
as far as looking before I leap, well I've always been hard headed and stubborn
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gallery does need a sort out but 40 litres is a reasonable minimum size for neons as a shoaling species so you would never keep one.

Unfortunately it takes time to correct errors and unless they are really detrimental they just don't get done.
solox18
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they do get huge that part I know.... I have heard of one around 40 inches (fire eels of course not neon tetras for you guys probably thinking I'm a retard out there)
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.22(Mon)4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you do have a larger tank already.
We usually get the ten gallon tank owners asking how big their Oscar /tyretrack eel/red tailed catfish will grow.

Look at your arm, that is a close approximation of a fire eel's thickness (Unless you are very skinny or a body builder Laughing ) so you need to consider this when decorating the tank. If you can move something with your fingertips an adult eel can push it and large decor moving in the tank can cause glass to break. Hence the tern Tankbuster.

Plastic water pipes or drainpipes are good as hidden hides. More choice of hides often help the fish feel relaxed and become tamer.
solox18
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.25(Thu)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yeah I had a friend asking me how big a blue channel catfish would get....he had a 30 gallon, when I told him hed get 60 pounds atleast he about had a stroke lol I did a little research on them before I bought it just never could find any info on diseases and stuff like that, I know they get fungus easy because they get cut easy but what else... I've heard of whole in the head disease but I've never seen it, I got a good idea what one symptom is
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: