Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hello from the US
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
anmlvrj
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)9:34    Post subject: Hello from the US Reply with quote

Just wanted to say hello and let you know I really love your site.
Very jealous of the tanks you've put together. I love my fish but would love to be able to pull off some of the planted tanks that you have. Still struggling on getting plants to grow in my tanks so had to resort to artificial or none at all.
Thanks for all the articles, I'll be very busy catching up on everything.
anmlvrj
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should also discuss what I have at home.
I currently have a 20 gallon that I'm breaking down cause I got goldfish a while back and they are now going to a home that has a larger tank for them. I also rehomed a weather loach to my sister who had one and was thinking of getting another. So the 20 gallon is either going to have a pair of blue rams or I might get a pair of licorice gouramis. Am going to experiment with doing a planted tank with soil under crushed oyster gravel.

My very established tank is a 40 tall (45?) not sure the dimensions are very weird and I haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is. Anyways, it has 3 angelfish and a variety of gouramis. I have been able to get one plant to grow after turning completely brown and now it's producing shoots. In this tank I have golden clams and one zebra netrite snail. Very recently tho I have noticed the clams coming up dead. Not sure what the life span is on them.

I have a 55 gallon in the garage that I will be setting up soon but want to try my hand on a planted tank in smaller scale before trying to plant something so large. Haven't figured out what I'll be putting in that tank yet, although I may just move the gouramis and angels over and add a few more.

Lastly I have a 10 gallon with one crayfish. I had two but the one ate the other one for some reason. So now this one lives alone, believe it's the male that's left.

So anyways that's what I have right now, I would still call myself an amateur but trying to grow my knowledge and possibly the amount of tanks that I keep.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am going to experiment with doing a planted tank with soil under crushed oyster gravel.

Hello.
Oyster gravel is not suitable for aquaria.

Clams don't thrive in tanks.
What are the water parameters and lighting?
anmlvrj
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could of swore someone told me to use oyster gravel, must have been something else that they meant. Something with use for a Walstad tank.
See that's the amateur part I was talking about.
The golden clams had been living in my tank for the last year very well I think my gouramis finally found the food source is all.
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!
-Khiara

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.28(Sun)0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

anmlvrj wrote:
Could of swore someone told me to use oyster gravel, must have been something else that they meant. Something with use for a Walstad tank.
See that's the amateur part I was talking about.
The golden clams had been living in my tank for the last year very well I think my gouramis finally found the food source is all.

I want to do a walstad tank, where you form a pretty much closed loop tank. I have heard of using oyster shells. I can offer no help in this aspect of the question as I have no experience.

Welcome to the forum Cool
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.28(Sun)3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyster shell are a form of buffer - calcium carbonate - to prevent the KH dropping on a closed system.
They will alter water chemistry.
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: