Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Plant rebound - When has it been too long?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)9:09    Post subject: New Plant rebound - When has it been too long? Reply with quote

Recently, I bought some C. Wendtii, Marsilea Quadrifolia and Echinodorus tenellus, which I assume is actually Helanthium Tenellum. It appears that the Marsilea and H. Tenellum were grown emersed.

The C. Wendtii melted completey and I have a very very small new leaf that will hopefully take off shortly.

The Marsilea spp was ~ 8" tall, so I trimmed it and am seeing new growth from the trimmings. I'm seeing the four-leaf variety regrowth, so I'm very happy with that. I think in a month or two, the new growth will completely replace the old/dead portions.

The H. Tenellum is causing me a little more concern here. I expected some death/regrowth but I'm not sure if one of my plants is not getting enough light. Of the three I planted, one appears to be healthy, another looks to be regrowing its dead leaves and the last appears to be just completely dieing off.

here's a top-down picture of the dieing plant:

As far as car, I'm dosing 1-2mL of Excell daily, there are RootMedic Complete tabs in the substrate near each plant (the cause of many air bubbles in the tank) and I just dropped from 50% weekly water change to 50% every two weeks. The only inhabitants in the tank are a few cherry shrimp and some hitchhiking snails. Also, I have ~1 WPG effective light from my LEDs.

Any advice appreciated!
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it appears to maybe be your lighting, Pygmy chain swords require med light for growth and HIGH to get red coloring.

Sound like you have the nutient rich substrate and you're dosing, so the only thing left is the lighting.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleJr wrote:
Yes it appears to maybe be your lighting, Pygmy chain swords require med light for growth and HIGH to get red coloring.

Sound like you have the nutient rich substrate and you're dosing, so the only thing left is the lighting.

And not enough carbon. I heard of a red varietity for sale before on another foum. I think there are people who have domesticated it into being a more "pink" plant.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea most ALL plants that cover the ground (except dwaft sag) required or needs some form of carbon. I am not going to tell you to go out and start dyi co2 at all...umless you're really interesed in going down that road. If you want to maintain simple plants then stray away from this type of plant.

I think pink is the MID level of coloring Green-pink-red
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleJr wrote:
Yea most ALL plants that cover the ground (except dwaft sag) required or needs some form of carbon.

Most plants? I am pretty sure that all plants need carbon (besides rare holoparasitic or rare myco-heterophytes, but that is a debatable subject). Plants that have chlorophyll and preform photosynthesis are also plants that use carbon dioxide. Using solar energy to turn carbon dioxide and water into sugar and oxygen is what happens during photosynthesis. Do you have a microscope? Super easy to see chlorophylls with it at only 4x zoom. I will go so far as to say all aquarium plants and house plants use carbon. Just saying, but just want to make sure you know that...
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dosing with excell (not as good as co2 injection, but still increases the carbon available). If carbon is the issue can I test with a higher dose of excell? If lighting is the issue, can I test by extending the amount of time the lights are on?
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increasing the intensity of your lighting, not the duration, will have more of an impact on plant growth.

Are you sure you are achieving 1 WPG with LEDs? LEDs are usually not recommended as the amount of light they emit is usually not enough for plants.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.24(Wed)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

What LEDs are these? 1 w/g should be plenty, even from fluorescents. I have yet to hear of a good 10w LED unit for planted tanks though - has one become available in US?

Completely disagree that all carpets, especially chain swords need medium+ lighting or carbon supplementation.

11w or 1.4 w/g light:

Oh look reds:

Again, 11w of light, larger tank so about 1.1 w/g:

Still growing with zero carbon supplementation...I now have the broad leaf variety that you have starting to carpet in this tank and there looks to be no real difference between the narrow or broad leaf variety in behaviour or requirements.

I think more likely is that the middle bit of the plant was damaged when planted so it's taking it's time in recovering. Incidentally, chain swords have been moved to the genus Helanthium, and your plant looks more like "Echinodorus quadricostatus" now known as Helanthium bolivianum.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.25(Thu)1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
zero carbon supplementation

There is still carbon in the water, you just aren't adding extra.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.25(Thu)1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I said supplementation, not just zero carbon. Razz

DaleJr wrote:
Yea most ALL plants that cover the ground (except dwaft sag) required or needs some form of carbon.

I'm pretty sure what Dale meant was needs carbon supplementation, not just needs carbon - wouldn't make much sense in context otherwise.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: