Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my piranha needs help
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
solox18
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)1:29    Post subject: my piranha needs help Reply with quote

I'm new to aquarium keeping and need to know why my piranha is losing his scales on one side of his body.... it seems to be almost exactly where he leans against the tank heater ... so I figured it could be a burn, but it does not get hot enough to burn
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaters do get hot enough to burn which is why they make heater guards.

What decor is in the tank, what species of pirhana?

IME it is rare for a free swimming fish, as opposed to a bottom dweller, get burnt unless the tank is too small and so bare there is no other shelter.
solox18
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is a white piranha and he has a big castle decoration he stays in mostly its only when I walk around the tank he leans on the heater, I have taken the heater out for about an hour now, to see if it will help... I don't think the tank is too small he is only about 2 inches long in a 151litre
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs more hiding places -preferably thick planting.
A backdrop around three sides of the tank will give him more confidence but he needs the heater. - try fitting it horizontal two thirds of the way up the tank or fit a guard.

Have you got his next tank ready?
solox18
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.21(Sun)18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done what you said and it has helped a lot. he is already starting to show signs of healing, but the heater already had a guard... I'm thinking he is more sensitive skinwise than most or maybe the nitrogen went haywire without plants or something and yes I have the next tank almost ready.... I am still piecing the habitat together though, with natural colored smooth gravel and miscellaneous plants I'm probably going to upgrade the filtration in all of my tanks before I switch though considering that they are all obsolete
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.22(Mon)4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

What filters do you have?
Some newer models are not as good as their predecessors.
solox18
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

a big tetra...I don't know what model I just pulled it out of storage its made for a 60 gallon. its got dual sumps and spouts and holds 2 carbon filters and 2foam filters 1 of each on each side
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: