Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need help with Filter Noise
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.18(Thu)13:48    Post subject: Need help with Filter Noise Reply with quote

So I have this tank, right? It's a 30 Gallon Tall (Might be closer to 33), and it's old, coming to me second or third hand. When I got it a year or two back, my mother and I pulled the thing apart and re-sealed it, so I'm not that worried about that.

The thing that's bugging me is that I'm pretty sure the tank was designed for an under-gravel filter, partly because that's what the person who owned it before me was using, and partly because that, even when the tank was full, an HOB filter sits prohibitively high, with only about an inch of dip before the water goes too low and the filter starts sucking air. That's not really my primary concern with it either, as it's easily solved.

The other problem, which is what I really need help with, is that the post-filtered water drops a good two inches before it hits the water in the tank, which creates a fair amount of noise, to the perpetual annoyance of my brother, who shares the house with me. The noise never used to bother me, but his nagging does.

Can anyone think of a way to somehow reduce the noise? The water-level is as high as it can go without flooding out the lighting unit
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.18(Thu)14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is buying a new filter out of the question? I've got a couple Fluval U4s, which are internal filters, and they are completely silent, so he would have absolutely no noise to complain about! Smile

If that's not an option... Is there a way to tie a piece of cloth or something onto the outlet to quiet it down? I thought I read a while back that this can be done, but I've never had to try it myself (the noise doesn't bother me, either), and I can't remember where I read it at.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.18(Thu)14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not out of the question financially, but actually FINDING something like that anywhere in town might be next to impossible, and I'm not in a great position for shopping online. Both the LFS and the Big-Box Pet Store are less than impressive when it comes to their equipment selection.

I can try the cloth thing. I have a lot of cloth left over from modifying the tank stand, so I can try and fasten a piece over the outflow somehow, see if that helps.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.18(Thu)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could also be an option?
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.18(Thu)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could screw on a sheet of plastic under the filter so it makes sort of a water slide for the water return. I got a used filter with one of those on it and it quiets and slows the flow.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: