Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gold Gourami (male) - does he need tank mates?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
frankiefrazer
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.17(Wed)19:47    Post subject: Gold Gourami (male) - does he need tank mates? Reply with quote

Long story short: We had a tank full of fish, and they have each passed away.
Except for the Gourami.
This Gold Gourami has outlived everything by almost two years.

I kept waiting for it to pass so we could donate the tank, but he just keeps on livin', sharing the tank with two mystery snails.

So, now I am convinced this fish isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and I feel guilty cause he is all alone. I don't think snails can really be considered comapny for a fish?

Anyway, I don't know if he has gotten used to being alone, or if I should get him friends?

Thoughts?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.18(Thu)4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to know more about the tank.

Gold gouramis can live 12 years or more.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.18(Thu)11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... a big question is, why did your other fish die? Old age? Poor water quality? Carpet surfing? The reasons are endless.
If the fish died of unnatural causes, we would hesitate to reccomend you add more fish, so that they too can die of unnatural causes.
On the other hand, if the gourami is really old and everyone died of old age.. we have a different story.
spartan plume
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.04(Tue)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been keeping golden gouramis for two years now, I have two females and the 'play' fighting can get rough at times

as for a male he should be kept on his own in a smaller tank 200 L or less

two males will fight badly for territory!

although if your tank is larger you could add three females this would make him very happy but heavy planting is a must, as some breeding agression does occur (they need to be able to be chased and for the line of sight to be broken)

they do enjoy a well planted tank with real plants, I have found plastic ones can be rough and when they dart around they sometimes misjudge the gap and get minor injuries

they also enjoy other species to be a 'part of the furniture' it seems to me lol

zebra danios or leopard go well and dwarf neon rainbow fish also live nicely with them

so if your tank is cycled and the fish died of old age I would get some real plants wisteria and amazon sword are good (they love to 'pick' them) and pop in a school of zebra danios and you will soon have a marvelous home for him Smile
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.04(Tue)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

spartan plume wrote:

Just a question... why the recommendation for 200L or less? A 200L tank is the minimum size I'd recommend for even a single three spot gourami.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
spartan plume
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.04(Tue)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 females in a 200L tank fully grown and they are perfectly happy thank you

as with all things you can take my advice and experience, or leave it, as mine with yours.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.04(Tue)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trichogaster trichopterus live a long time and should top out at 6 to 7 inches when fully grown. IME these fish are either very good specimens that can survive catastrophes or very weak and only live a couple of months. I would guess it is directly related to the breeder and origin. This was probably the most popular tropical fish for a time in the early 1980's. I remember when the Gold Gourami became readily available - we sold thousands of them.

I have seen these fish in smaller tanks (<30 gal.) quite often and for the most part they don't fare well - poor colour, listless, aggressive. IMO a 55 gal. is the smallest tank I would house this species in, regardless of number.

So to answer your question with a question - what size is the tank?

And as a side note to spartan plume - fish don't play fight and that situation could turn out poorly for one or both.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.06(Thu)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

spartan plume wrote:
I have 2 females in a 200L tank fully grown and they are perfectly happy thank you

as with all things you can take my advice and experience, or leave it, as mine with yours.

Right, but that's still at least a 200L tank... not smaller than a 200L. I'm wondering if you feel they shouldn't be in a tank that's larger than 200L?

And no need to get upset... it was just a question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.07(Fri)18:21    Post subject: *sigh* another one bites the dust. Reply with quote

Well, this one sure went south in a hurry. Maybe in the future we should just answer the question asked. How about, "If your tank is smaller than XX gallons then such and such fish would work." Or the versus of that remark.

That's all that's needed.

Instead we have a frankiefrazer who's posted once and is gone, and a spartan plume, at seven posts, challenged and insulted.

Can't we learn to phrase these things better, folks?
Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.11(Tue)9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if your post was directed at me, but I guess I did "challenge" spartan plume in that I questioned the recommendation for an under 200L tank for a three spot gourami. It sounded like the poster was recommending that gold gouramis should not be put in tanks larger than 200L, and I wanted clarification.

Quote:

(bold emphasis added)

I see nothing wrong with questioning a recommendation that, IMO, was incorrect. Spartan plume chose to take offense to my question, when I was merely asking for clarification (I thought perhaps I was misinterpreting the advice), and essentially jumped down my throat about it.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: