Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need help identifying fish
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.12(Fri)19:43    Post subject: Need help identifying fish Reply with quote

Hi,

2 of these fish were sold to my wife as orange mollies, but they are clearly some kind of cichlids.

I need help identifying them so that I make sure I have the right setting at home to house them. I'm sorry the photos are not of the best quality.

http://picasaweb.google.com/prakash.sridharan/Identification#5538841796115413458

http://picasaweb.google.com/prakash.sridharan/Identification#5538841811141868866

http://picasaweb.google.com/prakash.sridharan/Identification#5538841835019830626

Thanks,
Prakash[url][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.13(Sat)3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct.
They are African mbuna cichlids but I can't work out the species

What other fish do you have?
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.13(Sat)20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I already have an African mbuna tank so I have transferred these fish into that tank now.

My intention was to setup a tank for live bearers and thats why I wanted to get a pair of sailfins.

Here is the problem in India when it comes to selling cichlids. None of the LFS keepers actually know the name of the species. They only differentiate them by color. So, an auratus is yellow morph and an elongate mbuna is a blue morph. Even peacocks are sold as blue morphs at times. They obviously heard "orange molly" as "orange morph" and sold it.

Thanks,
Prakash
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
ccancer57
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.13(Mon)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, this is as African Mbuna, a baby red zebra. They start out with the vertical strips and as they maure, they lose the stripes and turn the orange, blue or white.
kaybee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.18(Sat)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what species of african cichlid they are but they're not red zebra's (Metriaclima estherae) as the mouth and head shape as well as coloration isn't characteristic of the species.

Orange or red morph M. estherae do not have stripes and are solid orange as fry.

If I had to guess, I'd lean toward mbuna hybrid with some sort of labidochromis caeruleus lineage based on the shape of the head/mouth.
ccancer57
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.12.19(Sun)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaybee wrote:
I'm not sure what species of african cichlid they are but they're not red zebra's (Metriaclima estherae) as the mouth and head shape as well as coloration isn't characteristic of the species.

Orange or red morph M. estherae do not have stripes and are solid orange as fry.

If I had to guess, I'd lean toward mbuna hybrid with some sort of labidochromis caeruleus lineage based on the shape of the head/mouth.

This attachment is a photo of the fry that were spit in my tank about a year ago. These turned out to be a light pinkish with the orange tent but definately zebra from a blue male. There seems to be a close similarity.

diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.19(Sun)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some similarity but as kaybee put they look like hybrids and are probably not identifiable.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: