Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New addition to my family!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.05(Fri)1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, the puppy stage can be annoying but I like it. Good luck with your training!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.05(Fri)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the puppy breath haha. I have 3 dogs 2 australian shepards one is the others son. She had a litter of 5 we kept one. Because he is deaf. Then we have a dachshund. I can't stand him. He smells bad and barks all the time! Then my female mommy australian shepard watches the ceiling for light reflecting of of shiny objects. She will sit there hours on end. Then my deaf one runs into walls and stuff. haha pretty crazy house. Plus the 2 lizard tanks and a 46 gallon bf reef and 165 gallon predator tank. haha big full house.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.06(Sat)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try owning 21 goats and 7 sheep with ducks, chickens, dogs, a parrot, 37 fish, and cats...on a one acre farm. We have like 70 some animals excluding fish.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.08(Mon)2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the pup! Very cute. I love the name, too. Wink You sound like you are experienced in dogs... but just thought I'd mention to work on that bite inhibition... 7 weeks is a bit young to leave the mommy.

Caton wrote:
Because when they pass the puppy stage they become annoying, at least for my dog...lol, I love our dog but she just never learns...even with a shock collar.

That's why training starts young. (And, no, I do not consider shocking a dog when it does something you don't want as "training.") I'm frankly disappointed to see this sort of a comment in a site that promotes ethical handling of fish... don't dogs deserve the same sort of treatment?

Shock collars may have their place in the training world but they are not an instant fix it... any more than any of the "instant cycle" products on the market are worth anything. I would recommend finding a good obedience facility in your area and going to class. I have three dogs: two German Shepherds and a Rottweiler, and have never used a shock collar on any of them. They are mostly PR trained. I don't believe in correcting a dog for doing something wrong unless he knows EXACTLY what you want of him.

Sorry for the rant... the post just bothered me. Kudos to the OP for realizing that getting a puppy is FOR LIFE. There are far too many dogs dying in shelters on a daily basis. Sad

ak dylpickles wrote:
I really like the puppy breath haha. I have 3 dogs 2 australian shepards one is the others son. She had a litter of 5 we kept one. Because he is deaf. Then we have a dachshund. I can't stand him. He smells bad and barks all the time! Then my female mommy australian shepard watches the ceiling for light reflecting of of shiny objects. She will sit there hours on end. Then my deaf one runs into walls and stuff. haha pretty crazy house. Plus the 2 lizard tanks and a 46 gallon bf reef and 165 gallon predator tank. haha big full house.

PLEASE stop breeding your dogs! There is obviously a genetic default being passed down, consdering the deaf pup. Dogs should NEVER be bred unless they are exceptional examples of their breed standard, and are health tested (hips, eyes, elbows, heart, ears, etc.). Health testing is expensive and NOT the same as a regular vet exam! Again, there are enough dogs dying in shelters: please don't add to that number!

It is NOT funny that your female Aussie is obsessed with light and your male runs into walls. Sounds like they are both BORED out of their minds. What sort of activities do you do with them? Aussies are an extremely active, high energy breed, and most of the time will need a "job" to be content. I would recommend something like agility. My dogs do agility, tracking, obedience, and skijoring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.08(Mon)2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't mean to breed the dogs. It just happend He was the only one with a birth defect thank god.

But at least every other day I take them out in te yard or the park and let them run run run. And we never leave them behind for trips. Camping that kinda stuff.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.08(Mon)2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak dylpickles wrote:
We didn't mean to breed the dogs. It just happend He was the only one with a birth defect thank god.

Good to hear! I hope your dogs are now fixed?

Quote:
But at least every other day I take them out in te yard or the park and let them run run run. And we never leave them behind for trips. Camping that kinda stuff.

Most dogs (especially Aussies) need AT LEAST a daily walk. I'd say they'd need more like 2 long walks/runs per day. You could even take them biking, just be careful not to get the leash tangled in the bike tire. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.08(Mon)2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the shock collar isn't the most ethical thing for a dog, however I noticed that she has stopped barking, we had the battery in wrong and now all we really need a normal collar and she thinks she is going to get shocked and when she figures out its a fake we put the real one on for an hour than switch and she is good for another week. If she didn't have it, we would have 10 dead turkeys because they are always escaping (we are trying to fix that.), I think that one dog being shocked a few times is a good exchange for not having 10 dead turkeys. I know that dogs require the same treatment. They are farm dogs, not pretty in anyway. They are fixed and have plenty of space to run. I completely understand you ranting about that post, but I posted that right after we got the collar. I love my dogs, but every now and again they are annoying. My fish can sometimes be annoying when I am trying to net them or like last night I put my hand in my occie tank to find that you DO NOT put your hand near those lil' guys shell or you get bit. It surprised me, not really hurt but I jerked it out and nearly had my hood break Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.08(Mon)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes all the puppies were neutered/spayed once they were old enough. My female is spayed too. I never really noticed it but after they have puppies and get spayed they stay fat. haha. no matter how hard I try to get her weight down.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.08(Mon)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

my girl was spayed at 6 months (it was a requirement of her adoption through the BCSPCA and part of her adoption fees, so if I didn't get her spayed, I'd be wasting my money, but really, I don't wish HER puppies on ANYONE. One of her in this world is enough!! Laughing )

Bjorn is getting neutered around 7 months of age, as per vet reccomendations, as he is a large breed and will need his joints to mature before.

My piece is.. dogs don't just "get pregnant". There is a degree of negligence there. If the dog is not fixed, it needs to be kept away from potentially impregnating situations. Responsibility of the owner. No argument here.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.08(Mon)20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

katienaha wrote:
my piece is.. dogs don't just "get pregnant". There is a degree of negligence there. If the dog is not fixed, it needs to be kept away from potentially impregnating situations. Responsibility of the owner. No argument here.

Agreed.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: