Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A couple of new acquisitions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.13(Sat)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unissuh, I just saw this thread and I love your Dario!

Yesterday, I picked up a male of this species at the LFS. They are rare to see in this area so I paid $12.95 USD for the one. He is gorgeous, though! They had another one in the tank above, a pale creature showing a lot of pinkish white. I do not think it was a female, though, just a frightened male. That tank wasn't as heavily planted as the one my fish was in.

So, anyway, I've got him home now in a 20 long, naturally lit tank with lots of Indonesian vines and Java fern all over the place.

The tank is currently a species tank for Endler's livebearers.

My question to you: can you tell me EXACTLY what you are feeding and how much? My Endler's take flake or anything I give them but I understand the Dario likes fresher food.

Please give me your recipe!

Thanks!

Deborah
Very Happy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.13(Sat)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been feeding live food only so far - largely blackworms, spare microworms, BBS and occasionally some mosquito larvae. I tend to feed 2-3 smallish blackworms (via a pipette) once a day and just tip any extra microworm and/or BBS into the tank. I have blackworms breeding in one of my tanks and have microworm and BBS constantly to feed some fry so it's not much effort.

I've had it trained to go for a pipette for a while now, but it will only swallow live after tasting unfortunately - starting a grindal worm culture to try and gutload them with pellets to see if I can wean him across via similar taste, but the culture isn't going so well for some reason.

I ended up rehoming the sneaker male, they started to display to each other and I figured it was better to play it safe at that point.
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.13(Sat)23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I fed frozen bloodworms to the tank today, target feeding in the area the Dario hangs out. Of course, the Endler's went straight for it. They are used to me but it will take time for the Dario to realize what I'm doing. Please post on this thread or a new one if you manage to get yours to take prepared food.
Very Happy
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: