Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
iTank Calc for iPhone/iPod Touch FREE
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
zerocool5878
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.28(Thu)8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a debate! To calculate the volume of a tank or any container you ALWAYS use inside measurements PERIOD.

Its mathematics. Very simple your answer is WRONG.

There is no guessing The volume of the tank is the volume not a guess. Now to figure it out exact volume of a bow front, you first need to separate the rectangle area from the the segment area. You need the know the height and width of said segment. Then you need to use a trig formula to calculate the area of the segment. (which I won't get into as it will only further confuse you)

Next you simply add the segment area to the rectangle area and you have your square inches.

Now you take your square inches and multiply by the depth and that will give you the cubic inches.

Then use that number and and divide by:
277.42 and that would give you the UK gallons.

Now you see how involved it is to get such a measurement so precise. This could be done on paper by a very small percentage of the population without the use of a handheld calculator. That percentage fails greatly if we only count people that are in the hobby of aquariums.

For the record iTank has been downloaded 1000+ times in just 10days. With only 3 tank configurations so far. So others do see a value in a product that I made for the community FREE of charge.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.28(Thu)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

zerocool5878 wrote:
This is not a debate! To calculate the volume of a tank or any container you ALWAYS use inside measurements PERIOD.

Its mathematics. Very simple your answer is WRONG.
-

Tanks are sold by external measurements unless in the USA when they are sold by UG gallon volume. (And one Far Eastern maker who sells tanks by litre volume where the hood is included in that volume!)
Who measures a tank internally except people checking the glass/acrylic thickness?

I'm not debating but questioning your original premiss where you "need" to know the volume of a tank at a yard sale.

I am well aware of the equations used but the quick, ballpark, method is effective for the purpose in your Opening Post and doesn't rely on carting around an oversized gadget.

Of course I do understand not everyone can do simple mental arithmetic. I have students who could not add up if wearing mittens.
zerocool5878
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.28(Thu)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

When calculating volume you would get an approximate volume if you measure from outside. To get the actually volume you need to measure inside there is no other way to look at it.

Maybe if I give you some example situations it may help you get it.

Example1.
Lets say that you want to build a sump for your 90 gallon reef tank to increase your overall water volume to have more forgiving tank.
Lets say your plan is to increase the volume by 25% or 22.5 gallons roughly
Now at a yard sale you see a tank that look like its about the size you need however it just has the same footprint as the size you need. It could be a few inches shorter and not be what you are looking for exactly.

Example2. Or lets say you want to order a pump for that 75 gallon tank you predicted. and in a reef you want it to turn that water over 10x per hour. So you calculate your head pressures and decide on a pump that does 800gph. Maybe that pump gives leads to lower flow and creates deadspots. now you have to add additional powerheads to move that water. now if you use a calc you may have chosen a 900gph pump maybe you wouldn't have needed those extra power heads.

I must not be the only one that has this idea as there is now another app in the app store doing the same thing. Only it just does rectangle tanks and he is charging for it.

As far as carting around a gadget. You obviously don't have an iPhone or iPod touch because it goes everywhere with you. My app is just an icon on the iphone or ipod touch it does not swell the device to make it any bigger physiclay.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.28(Thu)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again your examples are flawed.
example one;
You have just agreed that it is dimensions that count when purchasing a tank.

No one with any sense would buy a tank of unknown provenance to use in a reef system - the risk of copper contamination is too great.

Example 2;
By the time I'm ordering a pump I would know the exact volume after displacement so where is the problem?

BTW I had an early iphone 3G and it is in a drawer as the family spare as I prefer to use my older, tiny, Samsung that I can use without needing reading spectacles and it is easy to use one handed. I am familiar with apps but I have google from my phone if needed.
zerocool5878
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.29(Fri)4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Again your examples are flawed.
example one;
No one with any sense would buy a tank of unknown provenance to use in a reef system - the risk of copper contamination is too great.

I used this example because I built my 90 gallon quarantining system from all used yardsale equipment. I did fill the system with water and test for copper before deciding if it was going to be fish only with live rock or reef related and adding inverts into it. I have had the system for 3 years now with a problem.

Quote:
Example 2;
By the time I'm ordering a pump I would know the exact volume after displacement so where is the problem?

You would know the EXACT volume? Really and how would you come up with this since on certain tank shapes you use averages and approximations. Which we talked about and does not give you exact.

[/quote]
Quote:

BTW I had an early iphone 3G and it is in a drawer as the family spare as I prefer to use my older, tiny, Samsung that I can use without needing reading spectacles and it is easy to use one handed. I am familiar with apps but I have google from my phone if needed.

Sounds like a BEAST of a phone where can one purchase such an advanced piece of technology?

In all seriousness The app is used by well over 1000 people with all 5 start ratings in the app store as well as a ton of praises on the bigger forums. In fact the only negative comments that I have gotten is the fact I have not made an android version. so you my friend are a very small percentage of "people that don't get it" since your the only one!

I believe we will need to agree to disagree on this so that this thread can get back to original topic? If you would like to continue the debate please PM me so the thread can focus on iTank related updates, questions & sugestions pertaining to it.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.29(Fri)4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use approximations in a yard sale situation. I use accurate calculations when I have time.
Phone systems in the UK are not quite the same as in the USA. There are a lot of smart phones available here, some use apps, some don't need to.

The iphone was useless when out with the horses as I needed my reading glasses and both hands to take a call. I can use my phone with one hand and wearing, admittedly thin, gloves.

Quote:

I used this example because I built my 90 gallon quarantining system from all used yardsale equipment. I did fill the system with water and test for copper before deciding if it was going to be fish only with live rock or reef related and adding inverts into it. I have had the system for 3 years now with a problem.

I hope this is a typo?

Bored now..........
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.30(Sat)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a month there is a debate...its kinda interesting to watch but kinda funny how Diademhill almost all the time proves her point spot on. I measure from the outside, I never really knew to measure from the inside because I would just find what ever is closest, I have never had a need to know if my tank had 1g difference nor do I really ever plan to.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.01(Mon)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
Once a month there is a debate...its kinda interesting to watch but kinda funny how Diademhill almost all the time proves her point spot on. I measure from the outside, I never really knew to measure from the inside because I would just find what ever is closest, I have never had a need to know if my tank had 1g difference nor do I really ever plan to.

I sort of agree here. Fishkeepers generally know tank sizes, and know what a size is when they look at it. I find litres for accurate anyways, and I tend to measure for that, as US and UK gallons are different, whereas a litre is the same no matter where you go.

_a_cm x __b__cm x __c__cm = __x__

x cm divided by 1000 = litres. Easy peasy.
All cell phones have a calculator.
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: