Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My gold endler
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lepisteskulubu
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.17(Sun)8:20    Post subject: My gold endler Reply with quote

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab32/lepisteskulubu/IMG_0156-1-1.jpg?t=1287354006

Lepistes Kul

Last edited by lepisteskulubu on 2010.10.17(Sun)9:40; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.17(Sun)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful fish, but just so you know, I don't think it linked correctly, the image is not showing up, to view it I opened a separate tab and copied the web address with out the [img] tags.

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.17(Sun)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish! Love all the endler photos you put on here...I wish you were in the US so I could but some of your nice stock.
Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.18(Mon)12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is a good fish! Laughing

I have an Endler that is of similar color. He is the sole survivor out of 4, he eats a lot and is quite plump (in Endler standards), and the red stripes of the tail have grown longer than the tail proper. He's only about 2.5cm long and is the smallest fish in my tank. I'm now hoping the best for him as his weakened companion was eaten by an angel last week. If he has to move, the only refuge would be a jar with some Java moss in it.
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.19(Tue)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Endlers naturally occurring fish? The colors are awesome.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.19(Tue)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

coryfan wrote:
Are Endlers naturally occurring fish? The colors are awesome.

Lol, all fish are naturally occurring (unless you are taling about blood parrots, flowerhorns, and glofish). Yes you can find them in the wild however they are going extinct.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.19(Tue)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coryfan could mean, are they naturally occurring with those colors? Because guppies are natural occurring, but they're very plain and non-colorful. I don't know if Endler's are the same.
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.19(Tue)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
Coryfan could mean, are they naturally occurring with those colors? Because guppies are natural occurring, but they're very plain and non-colorful. I don't know if Endler's are the same.

As far as I know, the colors of currently available ELBs may be a little bit enhanced by selective breeding, but are still based on "naturally-occurring" color schemes. They actually look like "wild guppies" in the Gallery section. Someone proposed that as ELBs live in eutrophicated water with a lot of algae, their bright colors may help them identify conspecifics.

Well, I have something lengthy to say, you can skip this if you wish:

Talking about taxonomy, I would say ELBs are a recently isolated population of guppies, which are on the track to speciation but had not achieved so before humans intervened. Some people would like to think that ELBs are a separate species and should not be allowed to interbreed with guppies.
I am versatile on this. As a biology graduate, I stick to the definition that any two individuals who can give birth to fertile offspring belong to one species. Endler's and guppies surely interbreed, so I'd think of them as different forms of the same species, just like the different "races" of humans, or "breeds" of dogs. Anyway, I prefer to leave the natural gene pool intact, and commercial breeders should refrain from interbreeding the two. I don't mind amateur fishkeepers trying their own mix-n-match, as long as the offspring are not sold to retailers, and all offspring live their lives in captivity.
Life is all about variation and adaptation. Ther are billions of guppies around the world because breeders have developed vibrant varieties and you can say guppies' color genes make them "preadapted" to a world dominated by aquarists. In nature, interbreeding broadens the gene pool and enhances the survival fitness of a species. I believe we can only describe, but not define, life. After all, who has the right to control "life" itself? Very Happy

This is only my personal opinion.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: