Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Caton's high-tech 75g custom rimless tank
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.07(Thu)7:37    Post subject: Caton's high-tech 75g custom rimless tank Reply with quote

figured I would start this thread now because I am picking up this wonderful tank in 5 days :icon_cool
The tank is really 74.81g but I figured I would round up Very Happy

I am getting the aquarium from a guy in seattle and I am trading a goat skull straight up for this aquarium. When I bought 4 bottles of hydrogen peroxide (for the skull) and mineral spirits from wal-mart, the lady at the check-out gave me quite the look (mineral spirits are for re-siliconing another tank).

The tank dimensions are 48"x24"x15"h which is pretty good for africans.

Stocking will be:
8- Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow lab)
8-Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"
8-Cyrtocara moorii
4-Synodontis njassae

Filtration is going to be one or two canisters, not sure what kind and plan on doing 1 or 2 UGJ's with power-heads and sponges.

Lighting is going to be a really nice light from fishneedit.com (look it up, really cheap lights and good quality)

Decor:
Slate rock from patio store or some round rocks I find around my house, I was told slate rock is too sharp.
Black sand
Black Backround or 3d background of some sort
Plants around the tank, like a plant wall around it.
Anubias and vals (if the fish want them, if not, oh well)

Here is a picture of the tank being built (pic came from the guy who is building it):

In-case you didn't notice the fish are all from lake malawi and I would like to keep it that way (fauna being all bio-type) but for the plants I could not find any aquatic plants native to lake malawi so I bent the bio-type rules.

This is going to be the tank that I spend most my time and $$$ into because it is big, really nice, and brand new. I would like to keep it that way. I plan on moving all my other fish to new homes so that way I can keep a little breeding situation going. If I spent over $250 into my 10g...I don't even want to think what this is going to cost.

Oh, and I have some mesh coming in from a guy on plantedtank.net who gave me a really good deal on his remaining stash of it that he used on his rimless.

What filter should I use? I want some UGJ's for some current. I am going to hang the lights. Scape is going to be very open with all the rocks lining the back of the tank. I really need to find where I can get 150lbs of black sand for cheap....

Suggestions or ideas welcome Cool

Last edited by Caton on 2010.11.24(Wed)0:25; edited 2 times in total
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.07(Thu)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

150lbs? I put 100lbs of sand into my tank, and I'm thinking that maybe that was too much! I realize yours has a larger footprint... but 150lbs sounds like a lot. I would also go with a more tannish color, for the more natural look. Buuuut... that's just me. Wink

As for filters.... I really like my U4s Wink If I were you, I'd go with 2x Fluval U4s (about $50 ea on Ebay) or a cannister filter of some kind.

On smaller tanks, I can see how no rim isn't a problem... but how does that work with larger tanks? Don't the sides bow out without the support beam in the middle?

Anyways! I'm definitely looking forward to watching this progress! Should be pretty exciting. Smile
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.07(Thu)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

$250 wouldn't even buy you an ADA ~10g here. Laughing Does that make you feel better?

Tank glass looks really thin for that size tank, but I have no idea about building tanks so I'll assume he knows what he's doing. I love how goat skulls can get you tanks now...
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.07(Thu)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my calculations I would need 140lbs for 3 inches of substrate...that is too much in my opinion, thanks for bringing that up! I want half that so...70lbs of sand is what I need, so If I get two 50lb bags I will have some left over in case I need more or if I ever need some sand for another aquarium...I can get 75lbs from holey rock of texas (google it) for $160 including shipping. I really want black sand so I might either cough up that much just for sand (my light will cost less than that...) or find another source.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.07(Thu)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only $88 from drfosterandsmith....
Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.07(Thu)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's gonna look really nice! I'll stick around and wait for some updates!!!
FishFlake
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.11(Mon)6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
I love how goat skulls can get you tanks now...

Is that some kind of Aussie saying? I think the US equivalent might be that you can buy them for peanuts. Wink
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.11(Mon)6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need half an inch of substrate and put it in after the rocks.

The tank is too small for your planned stock Sad
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.11(Mon)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
You only need half an inch of substrate and put it in after the rocks.

The tank is too small for your planned stock Sad

How so? I have asked multiple people, a owner of a LFS who I trust very much, and professional breeders who do it for competition? I know you, you have very good advice and I have NEVER seen a fault with your advice other than things that are mostly opinion. The tank dimensions are very flat... that is good right? I guess I will only get a 50lb bag then, it should work good then.

Just wondering why as I have been told this stocking is good other than that fact that I should filter the heck out of it. Don't cichlids need to be slightly over stocked?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.11(Mon)7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the potential size of three of those species.
If they were all lab sized the number would be fine but you have 20 fish with an expected size of 6 - 8 inches - the tank is just not physically large enough to allow for caves and passing space.

Do the paper cut out test.
Maybe switch to one of the blue/yellow dimorphic species?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: