Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Caton's high-tech 75g custom rimless tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.27(Wed)3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that came out of the blue Caton!
I wish you luck on your salt venture!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.27(Wed)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned it in the SW section...I think that may be the only place that and I think rales thread?

A 55g too tall...What if I drill some holes in the wall and have the 55g on the ground in my bedroom so I could do all the maintenice without bugging my parents. The tank would be just as low but farther away, I would need to get a bigger pump but that would give me better water volume which I hope to have as much as I can get. I may sell my shotgun and 2 of my tanks to jump start this, in the winter I have a shoveling bussiness and I bring home about $50-$100 depending on how much,how often, and how many people actually want to have me shovel so that should get it going good. There was a great SW only store not far from where I live but I think he moved somewhere else...I might be able to still go to him just a little bit more of a drive. I am going all out and getting 8, 48", t5HO lights for this tank. I have a old 20g that prettty is covered in hard water stains. I might get a few gallons (10g...) of vinegar and pour that in there with a bottle home limon juice to get it off but even then...it will not be for show simply because the tank is so ugly and was maintained by a fish haver. I am going to take my time but in order to have all this done I need all the money first before I start so that way I know I won't just get the sump and salt and get that going and then not have enough for live rock, that would be a waste of salt and time. I need enough for everything including fish. Corals will be after that but I want to get set-up for a reef tank but have it FOWLR until I get enough $$$ for the corals.
Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.27(Wed)13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is a fantastic plan (in my opinion at least). That's how I wanted to do my setup; have money to purchase everything from the get go and it probably saved me a lot of hassles.

Perhaps you need to make your own stand? I guess it just depends on what height you want the display to be at. As for having the sump on the ground. That might be a good option so your stand doesn't have to be reinforced to accommodate the extra weight.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.27(Wed)22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sump would be on the ground anyway, I would have it resting on a board on the ground with the parts supporting the 75g around it with a middle beam. I am thinking I might have $700 dollars worth of stuff I can sell so that will be enough to get me started with the equipment.

Anyone want to buy a antique bolt action 20 gauge shotgun? Twisted Evil
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.15(Mon)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget the saltwater, forget the africans, I am just going to do a heavily planted community. I want plants, I want a bunch of fish, I can't do that with africans or saltwater. I am getting a r/o unit (my water will now be softer! Or at least I can buffer it to a lower pH), so I might have a few discus, angelfish, most defently gonna get a L-number pleco just so that I can say I have it. It will have a bunch of schooling fish, maybe a pair of rams. I have no clue, but I am going to have fun with this tank and forget about having a species tank. I already have 3 species tank (excluding snails of course).

Stocking ideas (this will still have the sump...I think):
2x altum angels
25x black neon tetra
25x rummy nose tetra
1x L073
10x Neon dwarf rainbow fish (praecox)
15x otos
20x julii cories

This is a total of 100 fish. I know this seems a bit steep as far as stocking but what about with the extra sump and having it heavily planted?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.15(Mon)15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on stocking... but that does seem like an awful lot. Beyond even the sump and heavy planting, it doesn't seem like there'll be enough space. I prefer lightly stocked tanks and I realize not everybody is like me, but there's a fine line between "heavy stocked" and stuffed full.

I know your 75 has different dimensions than mine, but I can't imagine all those fish even fitting into my tank, let alone being happy there.

I would do away with one of the schooling fish. Probably the rummy noses, because altum angels, being bigger than scalares, may enjoy them as dinner.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.15(Mon)15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you have plat substrate the tank will be too shallow for altums and you need to lose about half the shoaling fish.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.15(Mon)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
By the time you have plat substrate the tank will be too shallow for altums and you need to lose about half the shoaling fish.

Ahh, Okay.

Would it be okay for A discus?

1x L073
10x Neon dwarf rainbow fish (praecox)
15x otos
20x julii corie
25x Emperor tetra
1x Discus?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.15(Mon)15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still too many fish.

How about a discus - buy a return after someone has grown them on - one shoal of 12 tetras, half a dozen otos, 6 sterbai corys (& let them breed) 10 Columbian tetras.

The L073 is carnivorous and really happier in a shoal. L102 is prettier and easier to feed. (& to breed)

This covers the colours and shoaling patterns but keeps to closer water parameters.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.15(Mon)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Still too many fish.

How about a discus - buy a return after someone has grown them on - one shoal of 12 tetras, half a dozen otos, 6 sterbai corys (& let them breed) 10 Columbian tetras.

The L073 is carnivorous and really happier in a shoal. L102 is prettier and easier to feed. (& to breed)

This covers the colours and shoaling patterns but keeps to closer water parameters.

I like this! I know that there is a good discus breeder in seattle that I can go to and I like the columbian tetra. It will also have a bunch of RCS or might even try some kind of RCS morph (blue, yellow, snowball). I know they might get eaten but thats fine, I know once I get around a hundred they are hard to get rid of.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: