Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Best canister filter?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
eric2008
Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.15(Mon)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 aquariums with a Marineland 350 Magnum pro.They run quietly and have the bio-wheel attachment.
FishFlake
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.15(Mon)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric2008 wrote:
I have 2 aquariums with a Marineland 350 Magnum pro.They run quietly and have the bio-wheel attachment.

But the bottom-mounted impeller means dirt will inevitably collect and wear it, the top is difficult to put on because you have to line up the tube inside with where the hose attaches on the lid, and the metal clips that keep the lid on are difficult to align and work with, especially if you're doing it all in the confined space under your aquarium. The day that thing went into the garbage was one of the happiest days in my fishkeeping life.
eric2008
Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.15(Mon)19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishFlake wrote:
eric2008 wrote:

But the bottom-mounted impeller means dirt will inevitably collect and wear it, the top is difficult to put on because you have to line up the tube inside with where the hose attaches on the lid, and the metal clips that keep the lid on are difficult to align and work with, especially if you're doing it all in the confined space under your aquarium. The day that thing went into the garbage was one of the happiest days in my fishkeeping life.

I remove the canister from under the tank and take it to be cleaned.All you do is turnoff the filter,unhook the quick disconnect,lift the cannister by the handle as the manufacturers instructions say.Take to where ever you do your cleaning and take apart according to instructions provided.

I have had one of mine for over 10 years and never had any trouble.Still provides great flow and I can't even hear it running.
FishFlake
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.16(Tue)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric2008 wrote:
FishFlake wrote:
eric2008 wrote:

I remove the canister from under the tank and take it to be cleaned.All you do is turnoff the filter,unhook the quick disconnect,lift the cannister by the handle as the manufacturers instructions say.Take to where ever you do your cleaning and take apart according to instructions provided.

I have had one of mine for over 10 years and never had any trouble.Still provides great flow and I can't even hear it running.

Aha, we must be talking about two different model years then. No quick connect whatsoever on my Magnum 350. That was my biggest issue with it. Apparently they addressed the issue later.

Now on the Fluval:

See the two levers on the top? The smaller black one controls flow rate. The larger silver one under it is the quick disconnect. You lift that, and pow, both tubes are sealed off and disconnected from the canister, just that easy. The lid has nothing that requires any lining up when you put it back on. You just set it on and latch the two latches. The impeller is in the lid, not on the bottom, so debris doesn't tend to settle on it and wear it down. I know I sound like a spokesman, but after years of frustration with my old filter, I just want to share my joy with this one.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.17(Wed)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price doesn't relate to BEST.

A lot of members on another forum have found that they love their Sunsun and for the price.... there is no comparison. You can find them on EBAY

Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.18(Thu)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cascade, simple construction, easy to clean, cheaper, less doohickeys to break. And the only design flaw can be avoided by not unscrewing the hoses when cleaning. The plastic threading is the design flaw.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.01.04(Tue)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
I love the cascade canisters, quiet simple and easy to clean without worrying with a bunch of funky parts.

I HATE fluvals, pain in the neck to clean, never prime right, and noisy! I will never buy another fluval again!

Me too I never had anything but trouble from my Fluval. The only filter I ever threw in the garbage.

[quote="DaleJr"]Price doesn't relate to BEST.

A lot of members on another forum have found that they love their Sunsun and for the price.... there is no comparison. You can find them on EBAY
quote]

I have two sunsun Powerheads. They work great and at a 1/3rd of the price of a name brand.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)2:35    Post subject: TetraTec EX range baby ;) Reply with quote

I can't believe it, no one mentioned the absolute rocker of canister filters the one and only Twisted Evil TetraTec EX Cool
the most silent filter I can tell you. Very easy to prime, very easy to maintain, no water spilling etc... enough filter media, solid plastic body.
Also I LOVE the transparent tubing Razz
The circulation is superb!

A beauty I'm telling ya Very Happy

I am not really a fan of Rena canisters because of the priming, I have one at work and I always spil water on the floor and the circulation is poor.
Eheim overrated!
Fluval has this stupit hoseing where you need the tank 7 cm away from the wall. Not acceptable for me, since I have 2 cats and a dog and I don't want the behind the tank nosing.

AquaEl is another silnet and very hard high quality plastic. Actualy all their pumps inner or outher are very silent. I have 2 nano tanks in my bed room and man I can not hear a thing.

It is a Polish brand highly rated in Europe.

Friendly D
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW great find Dusko...Never knew Tetra had gotten into the Canister business. I will surely look into them. THANKS
eric2008
Members

PostPosted: 2011.01.05(Wed)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleJr wrote:
WOW great find Dusko...Never knew Tetra had gotten into the Canister business. I will surely look into them. THANKS

I don't think this is the Tetra that most would be familiar with.
Tetra brand is a subsidiary of Marineland.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: