Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My 50L "small" community tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MissKlaw
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.01(Fri)14:48    Post subject: My 50L "small" community tank Reply with quote

So this is my tank, just finished putting all the plants I wanted in and the inhabitants (6 rummy-nose tetras, 11 neon tetras, 2 peppered corys, 2 panda corys) seem to be enjoying the new greenery! Very Happy

Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.01(Fri)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, but a 50L is too small for the cories and the rummy nose's IMO

Cool tank though!
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.01(Fri)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's off to a nice start.

May want to pull the Anubias out of the substrate, if the thick green stem bit is not exposed to water it tends to rot. The grassy plant at the back right looks a bit like a non-aquatic if it's not a plastic plant like some of the others?

Also out of curiousity, is there a reason why you keep the water level so low?
Mazil
Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.01(Fri)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gravel looks surprisingly similar to the stuff I have in my tank. Tell me, where did you buy it from?
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.01(Fri)23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice. I am surprised that you are able to fit all of those fish into a 10G, though. I agree with unnisuh that you need to pull your Anubias plant out of the substrate and onto a rock or piece of driftwood (the same also applies to Java Fern).
BTW, have you had any issues with the Rummy-Nose Tetras regarding water quality? Why I ask is because I have heard that they are hard to keep.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.02(Sat)1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some of those little dragons that you have in front of the tank! Mine are in a box somewhere, though. Smile

Looks pretty good so far!

Any plans of adding a background?
MissKlaw
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.02(Sat)10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton - I was wondering about that but was assured by the employee at my LPS that with the Purigen instead of charcoal in the filter it'd be fine in terms of water quality ... at that stage I hadn't though of the actual tank area though. What would be a better size (still new to this so learning as I go)?

unissuh - Thanks for the tip about the Anubias, and the grassy one is a plastic plant Smile Water level is low partially due to evaporation from Ich treatment (higher temp), but it's also because I measured out 50L as exactly as I could (bit OCD in that regard!). How much higher would I be able to top it up (again, learning as I go!)?

Mazil - Best Friends Pet Supercentre at Virginia was where I got the tank, substrate, flora and driftwood.

WylieFish - No problems at all with the rummy-noses except losing one to Ich when that broke out. I've been monitoring the water carefully though, because I've been told the same thing - don't want to lose them, they've got a lot of character!

rales12 - you have good taste in your dragons! Razz As for a background, to be honest I've got no idea of what to do - the only vague thought I've had is possibly putting some dark tissue paper along the back to bring out the tetras' colours more *shrug*
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.02(Sat)10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fill my tanks right up to the bottom of the rim, and never have any problems. Or, with a HOB filter, you can fill it right up to the lip of the outlet of the filter.

I use solid colors for my backgrounds... blue and black, to be specific. I'm not a huge fan of the fancy backgrounds that have pictures of plants and stuff, but that's just me. Smile
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.02(Sat)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can stick a oscar in a 10g and have perfect water quailty. It is still to small. Besides, if anything takes away ammonia or stuff like that the bacteria won't be able to build up and will result in a tank crash.
Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.02(Sat)14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
You can stick a oscar in a 10g and have perfect water quailty. It is still to small. Besides, if anything takes away ammonia or stuff like that the bacteria won't be able to build up and will result in a tank crash.

What do you mean a "tank crash"?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: