Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Splitting a Canister Filter
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.29(Wed)6:11    Post subject: Splitting a Canister Filter Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever split off a canister filter (moderate strength 30 to say 65 gallons) to filter two small tanks 10-20 gallons simultaneously?

The mechanics are relatively simple, but I don't know how the efficiency is affected. And this is based off of two fully cycled tanks too. Any thoughts?
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.29(Wed)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very difficult to achieve, unless both are connected to a sump.

This is because if the intake from one aquarium is clogged, then it will flood, while the other aquarium drains.

Essentially, the input and output rates in both aquariums must be exactly the same; a little too much effort.
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.29(Wed)9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the sump filtration might be the only way, but the in and outs would essentially be of an equal length and the flow rate would be the same too. getting the tubes right would be a simple matter of T'ing the tubes and setting the tanks up side by side in a mirror config. anyway it was just a thought
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.29(Wed)9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that easy, any little bend or obstruction in one side will cause an imbalance which will result in a flood. Only need a tiny difference in flow rate to eventually cause a flood.

Only way I can see it working is if the canister intake was in one tank and outflow to the second. Second tank needs a drain to the first tank, either through a water bridge or overflow drain.
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.29(Wed)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see about making a doodle to show you guys, the building of it isint hard (btw being a engineering technician major, building anything isint all that hard) its the functionality.

the thing I'm worried about is flow rate, and if it will be impaired and how much, but I think having at the very least 2x the filtration power should make it moderately efficient. 3-4x would probably be the best
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.29(Wed)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would worry less about the flow rate, and the actual carrying out of the plan. As unissuh already mentioned, the practicality of using one canister filter to filter two aquariums is very difficult.

You do not only have to consider the physical properties of the tubing (I.e. length, any kinks, diameter, etc), but also the fact that if one aquarium filter intake were to get slightly more clogged (I.e. plant debris) than the other, it would also result in the gradual flooding of one aquarium and the gradual emptying of the other.
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.30(Thu)1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

its only hypothetical, but physical properties, like I have been saying, are the easiest part, at least for me. the part that makes it unlikely is the flooding and the if one side goes wrong the other suffers.

anyway, thanks for the chat everyone, this idea is going back on the shelfs for now. I've more important things to worry about
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: