Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New filtration needed
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)3:06    Post subject: New filtration needed Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 55 gal reef that has been up for probably 4-5 years. Right now I have a HOB Emperor 400 filter system and a AquaC Remora skimmer.

The Emperor 400 is starting to crap out and I submit this question to you,

I have read that most of your filtration is done with live rock and filters basically just trap nutrients and they eventually cause nitrate problems if you are not on top of it all the time. With that said, is it better to just remove the filter and let the live rock and skimmer work and leave it at that? If not, and I should get a replacement filtration system, what would be a good replacement for the Emperor 400? Since I bought this, they have completely remodeled this item and it is much cheaper in build so I don't want to get another one.

Here is a link to youtube vid of my tank as of now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yT9ZZCEJM

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you for your time and advice.
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.02(Sat)4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody home?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.10.02(Sat)4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really help as I've never use a HOB but only sumps & skimmers but there doesn't appear to be a lot of actual live rock as opposed to inverts.

It is possible to use a near empty HOB instead of a power head and still have the option to drop in floss or other media if needed short term.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.10.10(Sun)2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:

It is possible to use a near empty HOB instead of a power head and still have the option to drop in floss or other media if needed short term.

Absolutely! The skimmer is usually the work horse in the reef tank. The goal is removal of dissolved organics and nutrients as opposed to converting them to nitrate. However, in my opinion; even the best skimmers are not going to remove all the detritus and solid particulates, so periodic mechanical filtration still fits in, as part of your maintenance program.

It's amazing how fast this material can build up; many aquariums have live rock which has been completely covered and substrates which are packed with this marine "snow" of solids, mulm and detritus. Careful vacuuming can take care of a lot of this during monthly water changes. Brisk water movement is in order; strategic pump placement and vigorous turnover rates can help keep this material suspended, and a mechanical filter can trap it. The problem is, hobbyists forget to clean and/or replace that filter material! So some prefer to leave it out most of the time, run the filter empty for additional movement, and use the media only on a short term basis.

Personally, I prefer to employ a good overflow with a sump for periodic mechanical and/or chemical filtration. A filter pad or sponge can be inserted "in-flow" at several key spots in such a setup, and the gravity fed system is more reliable than the HOB devices in my experience.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: