Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Question on Red Cherry Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)2:50    Post subject: Question on Red Cherry Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp Reply with quote

I am looking to put some shrimp in my 2.5 gallon planted nano tank, but I do have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. Do they have an odor of any kind or is it just like having fish?

2. Can Red Cherry Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp be in the same tank?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

No do they not have a odor.
Yes they can be together but I hear sometimes the ghost shrimp will eat smaller shrimp. I would go with amano shrimp instead.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep cherry shrimp and amano shrimp together with no problems, I don't know about ghost shrimp, as I have never found them here.

Just remember cherry shrimp will generally readily breed, but amano shrimp will not as their eggs require brackish water (making them more expensive, but I quite enjoy them).
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wanting to have them on a sand bottom instead of gravel. Would this be a good choice, or should I use gravel?
Also, since the Red Cherry Shrimp breed frequently, can I feed the small ones to my fish (Guppies, Platies, Angelfish)?
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason people have myths about Ghost Shrimp is because there are several different types of shrimp that get mixed into bags and get called Ghost Shrimp. River Prawns and other highly predatory shrimp in their juvenile stages get mislabeled and sold as Ghosties. Have you ever seen the picture of a "Ghost Shrimp" catching and eating a Tiger Barb? Shocked

It would be 'safer' to go with Cherries because you know what you are getting, even though the odds of getting a 'monster' Ghost Shrimp are very slim. Cherries are better looking as well.

Amanos would also be good, but they are sometimes hard to find in local pet stores.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just starting out, I reccomend you get ghost shrimp. They are the cheapest, and therefore won't leave you losing a bunch of money if any of them die.

29 G
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think RCS are easier to keep long term than ghost shrimp, though the ghost shrimp we get here are probably not exactly the same spp as US. Never had much luck with keeping ghost shrimp long term.

Would not bother getting both, either RCS will outbreed the ghost shrimp or the ghost shrimp will be eating RCS babies.

Yes you can feed them to fish, quite a few people use them as feeders. Big angels will take adult shrimp too. It's a pain to catch baby shrimp.
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may go with Ghost Shrimp instead of the Red Cherry Shrimp, so this way I can just get them at my local pet store instead of off Ebay. I will need to get some type of carpet-like aquarium plant, so they will show up. I was thinking about some Dwarf Hairgrass and keeping it trimmed to 1 1/2" or 2" or plugging a few Pygmy Chain Swords in the sand.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.28(Tue)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of trouble with dwarf hairgrass and a non-fertile substrate. I just put seachum flourite under sand, and the hairgrass is slowly rebounding. I'd recommend against non-fertile substrate, but I could have been doing something wrong there.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: