Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My Betta
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Darktiger09
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.25(Sat)8:39    Post subject: My Betta Reply with quote

I purchased my first Betta fish about 5 months ago, and he is a complete darling! He is a fully-grown male Blue/Black/Red Crowntail, and is extremely sociable, and I even manged to train him to jump for his food. Very Happy (oh yes, and his name is King Edward XD)

For the most part he is a very mild and passive fish, the only time that he has ever shown any aggression being just today, after I added 4 Platies to his tank; however he immediately set about creating a solid pecking order, and now, 5 hours after I added the new fish, things seem to mostly have settled down, much to my relief.

I also plan on adding 4 Neon/Glo Tetras and 2 Flame Tetras to his tank in a few days after they have completed their quarantine time, and I am also considering trying out a Gourami, just to see if it gets along with him or not.

The tank I own now is a 14 gallon, and has plenty of plants, rocks and hiding spaces, and I also plan on adding a large centerpiece to it as well.
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.25(Sat)10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure the tank doesn't get too small for all that you're adding to it.
Darktiger09
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.25(Sat)11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, there is no shortage on space.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.25(Sat)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darktiger09 wrote:
So far, there is no shortage on space.

It's not just about space. It's about what load your tank can handle, and the compatibility of the fish.

Some bettas don't enjoy tankmates and will take joy in hunting them down. It's not very fun for the tankmates, and can also cause disease in your tank (stressed fish tend to get sick).

I have heard of neon tetras but not "glo" tetras. If you're talking about neon tetras, they can do fine in a 14g, but are shy and can be intimidated by the betta. Feeding time will become an issue because the more aggressive betta will gobble up their food before they even think about being brave enough to venture out for it. This is bad news for both the neons and the betta. I've had a betta die from overeating, as he stole all of his tankmates' food. You would need to add a minimum of 6, however, and I'm not sure you have room with the platies and the betta.

If you're talking about glofish, they are actually zebra danios and a 14g tank is too small for them.

I'd scratch the flame tetras, as they are also schooling fish and you don't have room for another group of 6.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
FrogSplash
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.25(Sat)12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean glow light tetras? I'm not too familiar with fish nicknames =(
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.26(Sun)1:44    Post subject: Re: My Betta Reply with quote

I would remove the platys, and replace them with 8 neons and call it good. I would not recommend putting a "center-piece fish" in that aquarium as the Betta will take most the spot-light with the neons. But like said from other people I would take caution and find a way to feed neons without the Betta getting it.

Darktiger09 wrote:
(oh yes, and his name is King Edward XD)

I watched "Vampires Suck" last night, funniest thing ever, made fun of the movie twilight for the whole movie, well worth my money.
Members

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful gouramis are fin nippers and they might even kill the neon tetras if is big enough as a matter a fact the betta will kill the neons Confused

I personally would put in guppys or killifish (golden wonders)
one or the other not both because the g.wonders will eat guppys Smile
good luch
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding tankmates for a betta is always a crap shoot. There are no absolute rules! Some bettas are fairly easy going and will tolerate a wide variety of tank mates, while others will hunt down and kill nearly anything you add to the tank. Whatever you do, be careful, and be prepared to relocate the fish you add to the tank if necessary.

I've definitely seen bettas attack both neon tetras and guppys. Also, mixing bettas and gouramis is usually a no-no. One or the other will probably be too aggressive, they are both labrynth fish, after all, and very territorial.
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.11.27(Sat)21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Caton, you don't really need another centerpiece fish with the betta, and Osprey is right about issues being likely with the betta thinking that the gourami is a threat. You'll want to be careful not to overstock, with the betta, the platies, and the glo tetras that is already heavy stocking, not to mention the flame tetras need to be in a shoal of 4-6, which would over stock the tank.

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.11.28(Sun)3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohammad.j.ideis wrote:
be careful gouramis are fin nippers and they might even kill the neon tetras if is big enough as a matter a fact the betta will kill the neons Confused

I personally would put in guppys or killifish (golden wonders)
one or the other not both because the g.wonders will eat guppys Smile
good luch

Golden wonders could eat the Betta!

Bettas & gouramis are often fine with neons but not with each other.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: