Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
any one know anything about dogfaced puffers?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.20(Mon)14:17    Post subject: any one know anything about dogfaced puffers? Reply with quote

I have been researching them a little bit and they seem cool. ( I know I can't have one) but does any one know much about them? the internet doesn't help to much.....
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.09.21(Tue)4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I have had several puffers, what would you like to know. My favorite is the Golden Puffer; pricey but really beautiful. This is also called the Guineafowl Puffer (Arothron meleagris). I have had several of these over the years, and I have also net captured the Golden phase off the coast of Cabo San Lucas.

Most of these true puffers get pretty big, including the Blackspotted or Dogface Puffer (A. nigropunctatus). They are generally hardy, but they can pose problems over the long run, please see my comments on them, no. 17 on this list:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17688
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.21(Tue)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostly I want to know what to feed them to keep teeth down. well actually I want to know what to feed them lol! how big do they usually get? because I have herd 9 inches 12 inches and 16 inches. I know you can't have tank mates with them. how fast do they grow.?
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.21(Tue)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak - please read what he recommended you read. it says right there under #17 what food to give.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.21(Tue)10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry.... I need to clarify what is the best type of snail? shrimp clam ect.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.09.21(Tue)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I think pond snails, periwinkles or turbo snails will work, but it can get expensive unless you can gather your own. Your local seafood retailer or grocer will usually offer fresh uncooked blue crabs, the legs of these crabs are good for puffers; just be sure to leave the shells on the legs. Also the same retailer will usually offer fresh clams or mussels in the shell, these foods will help keep the teeth from growing too fast.

Here in Florida, the tiny Coquina clams (Donax Variabilis) can be easily gathered in the surf zone on the beaches, then frozen for later use. I have done this many times. Used to have a tiny, juvenile Snowflake Moray that loved these.

Most of the common Tetraodontidae puffers seen in the trade (Dogface and Guinea Fowls) will reach 12 inches or more, although I have seen plenty of smaller juvenile Dogfaces in 3-5 inch range.

I have maintained large puffers in robust fish-only community systems with fast moving Maroon Clowns, Tangs, Wrasses etc., with no issues. The one fish that I did see a problem with was the Lionfish (P. Volitans); the puffers like to nip those long, flowing fins on the Lionfish, so I would say those two are incompatible in my experience.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.21(Tue)15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is like the best of the best way to keep their teeth down? I have herd of people letting them eat dead stony coral and stuff like that.And how fast do they grow?
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.22(Wed)1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaBoy wrote:
Sure, I think pond snails, periwinkles or turbo snails will work, but it can get expensive unless you can gather your own. Your local seafood retailer or grocer will usually offer fresh uncooked blue crabs, the legs of these crabs are good for puffers; just be sure to leave the shells on the legs. Also the same retailer will usually offer fresh clams or mussels in the shell, these foods will help keep the teeth from growing too fast.

Confused
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.09.22(Wed)7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak dylpickles wrote:
So what is like the best of the best way to keep their teeth down? I have herd of people letting them eat dead stony coral and stuff like that.And how fast do they grow?

The hard shells on the crabs, snails, clams and mussels will help keep the teeth from growing too fast. I do not have any reliable hard data on growth rates, but based on personal experience and research I would say that juveniles of some species can easily double their size within 12-18 months, if they are provided with a good diet and a large enough system to avoid stunting and confinement stress issues, which can lead to premature mortality. Most knowledgeable hobbyists will use tanks in the 200 gallon range to keep larger puffers.

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2010.09.22(Wed)10:04; edited 1 time in total
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.22(Wed)9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: