Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Want to purchase a new filter
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
WylieFish
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.30(Thu)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AquaClear 30 for my 20G High, and I love it! In my 10G that I had 8 years ago I had a Tetra power filter. That 10G constantly remained filled with algae and the ammonia, nitrates, etc. were all over the place. The reason for this was that as soon as the filter cartridge had been filled with good bacteria, it had to be junked. So when I decided to get my recent 20G, I looked for a filter that had removable filter media, so all of the good bacteria on the media does not get rinsed or thrown away all at once.
In my current AquaClear 30 I have a foam filter on the bottom of the basket (mechanical filtration), a mesh bag filled with Marineland Carbon (chemical filtration), and 6-8 Fluval Biomax filter media rings setting on the top (biological filtration). This seems to be working very well, and I did not have to spend a whole lot of money to get the filter ($32 on sale). The plastic filter frame may seem weak at first, but it holds up well. I only spend an average of $3-$5 a month for the filter media which beats the monthly disposable filter cartridges. Also, the AquaClear filter comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty from Hagen which is nice. Very Happy

Also, I only clean it once every 3 weeks or so and only select filter media.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.30(Thu)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to spand anything on your filter monthly - maybe pennies for a piece of pre filter wadding or fabric. filter media lasts years.
jsuereth
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.30(Thu)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
You shouldn't need to spand anything on your filter monthly - maybe pennies for a piece of pre filter wadding or fabric. filter media lasts years.

true, perhaps you can stop using carbon, that would reduce your costs. I took mine out a few weeks ago (while fishless cycling) and my numbers are still pretty stable.

Also, taking the lid off the filter makes it "quieter" if you're trying to squeeze every db out. All in all I'm very happy with the aquaclear 30.
kimura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.17(Mon)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice on the aquaclear 30. I just replaced my 20 with the 30 model
for my 20 gallon long planted panda cory tank.

I wanted a bit bigger filter and I was having some motor issues with my
aquaclear 20. To be fair, I've had that aquaclear 20 for almost 20 years
with it running probably 12 out of the 20 sitting unused in the garage the
rest of the time.

I use the sponge then a sack of fluval mechanical filtration media, then
a sack of fluval bio media and it works like a champ. I recently added a prefilter to the intake to keep fry out.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: