Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Member from upstate NY!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Pacu4u
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)6:31    Post subject: New Member from upstate NY! Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this site. I am the owner of a 3yr old Pacu. Not intentionally though. This is my problem. I live in upstate NY and we bought this 1" fish from walmart in 2007. Now she has outgrown the 10 gal, the 20 gal, the 30 gal and now she is in a 55gal and at 15" x 9" x 3.5" - she needs a new home. We can not afford her anymore. We spent countless hours online trying to figure out what type of fish she was and I found a photo of a Pacu and realized we had one. I have posted her up on craigslist for free to a good home of a 250 gal tank or large pond with lots of love, but to no avail. Does anyone have an idea of how I can find a decent home for her? We have 2 dogs, 4 cats and little funds. If we knew for a moment what type of fish she was, we would have never taken it on. We had no idea what she was until she became so big, that is when I realized we better look into it. Stupid to wait so long I know. We just want her to have a proper home and someone who is good to her. She eats from my husbands hand! Gotta be careful as she does have teeth, but we feed her hard dog food because the flakes are now not enough. We go through filters like underwear and it's becoming unbearable to take care of the tank. She is in a 55 gal right now but we can't afford a larger one nor do we have the room in our house. She can turn but I know she is unhappy in there Sad . She needs lots of room to swim. Anyone with advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a petstore nearby who will take her off your hands (and who has a large enough temporary tank)? Most fish stores will take fish for trade, or at the very least, for free.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.18(Sat)0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in a tough spot. Your fish is still very young and should grow to twice her current size. Pacu are just one of a number of fish that (IMO) should not be sold in the hobby due to their adult size and requirements. Others include Arowana, Red Tail Cats, Arapaimas, Sturgeon, Gars, Clown Loaches, Common Plecos and Chinese Hi Fins.

My suggestion would be to contact an aquarium that has a S. American exhibit and see if you can "donate" the fish. If you are in NY, there is the Aquarium of Niagara and the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, CT. I do know that Mystic Aquarium has an exhibit that includes adult Pacu, but that might be a long hike for you.

A second option could be a local college or high school bio department that could possibly have a tank large enough and is willing to take the fish.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: