Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Peacock eel info.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ritingyou
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)1:24    Post subject: Peacock eel info. Reply with quote

I recently got a eel at petsmart for a 10 gallon tank. The employee that I was talking to said it would be fine in my tank. Although now doing the research I realize later on in life I will need to get a bigger tank..

I was wondering if someone could tell me how often do eels eat? I read online that I could give him ghost shrimp but he is only 3 inches maybe 4.. is he to small to eat that? Also, I have sinking shrimp pellets, but I don't know if he is eating that or not..

For now he is the only one in my tank, I wanted him to get settled in before thinking of getting other fish. I also read that if he is a light color that it means he is happy. Is that true? If so that must mean he likes it here Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

He already need a larger tank - about a 29g as a minimum.

He needs a sand substrate to burrow in and the best foods are frozen/defrosted bloodworms, mysis, blackworms or a frozen carnivorous fish mixed diet.

Pale can be a sign of stress as much as darkening can.

How long has the tank been set up?
Ritingyou
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already found a 60 gallon that I am going to set up this weekend for him. My tank was up for a month, maybe a month and a half. Would he be safe in my 10 gallon until the 60 gallon is ready?

Also, is there a special way to feed him thoes? Or just drop it in above him and he will go after it? ( I feel really stupid for listening to the employee at the store.. but I really want to make this work. I already got attached to him so much..)
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you prepare the 10g?

If you did a fishless cycle he should be OK - if not he will die as soon as nitrites appear. Sad
Ritingyou
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fish, he is the first, and I've heard of nitrites..but never had to deal with it. I'll test every other day for it, everyday if needed.. If I need to I'll replace some of the water everyday.. maybe that can help to wait until the the 60 gallon is set up and ready?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case do daily 30% water changes on the 10g and move him to the 60g ASAP - you'll be doing daily water changes for at least six weeks unless you know someone with a mature, healthy. tank?

Look in the articles section to the left and read up on the nitrogen cycle.
Ritingyou
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

So should I move him into the 60 gallon this weekend right after I set it up? Or should I still wait for it to run a while.. I'm afraid it will hurt him just as much if I put him in this weekend since the 60 gallon hasent gone through the proper cycle but if it won't hurt him as much as being in the 10 gallon then I will put him in as its set up.

I wish I knew someone with a tank I could put him in for now.. but sadly I don't. I can do the daily water changes though, what ever it takes.

Thanks so much for helping Smile I really appreciate it!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't do a proper cycle on the ten gallon he will be safer in the larger volume of the 60g.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow what diademhill is saying. I would take some of the filter media from the 10 gln. and put it into the 60 gln. immediately when you set it up. Then, still make sure you do the water changes DAILY for the 4 to 6 weeks that it will take to properly cycle that bigger tank.

I had a peacock eel for almost 4 years. We loved that eel. He would eat out of my hand. I fed him live bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, tubifex worms and sinking algae wafers and shrimp pellets. He also ate my entire school of Cardinal tetras over a two week time frame. I knew that was a probability when I got him... so don't put small, torpedo shaped fish in with him.

My guy actually chose the gravel substrate to bury himself in instead of the sand substrate in the tank. In four years I never saw him buried in the sand... only in the gravel. It is small gravel though and I would always give an eel the option of sand in any tank as that is their 'normal' choice.

Good luck - they are fascinating fish to watch.
Ritingyou
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.17(Fri)6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will do that, as soon as I get the tank in place. But for feeding the eel, is there a special way to do that? Or will he look around the tank for the food? It would be nice if I could get him to eat out of my hand but I'm sure it takes a lot of time to earn his trust for that to happen.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: