Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
First timer!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LoobyLoo
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.11(Sat)1:22    Post subject: First timer! Reply with quote

HI all! Just introducing myself. About 8 weeks ago I got conned by my 2 kids into getting a fish tank. I have to admit to always wanting tropical fish so I guess they didn't have to nag too much. Having never done this before I am finding it really difficult because of conflicting information. I have since been trawling the internet and decided the best thing to do would be to join a forum.
I have a 35litre aquarium..no live plants..an Elite stingray 10 filter and a heater. Gravel base..few plastic plants and stones. Have 2 red tuxedo platys, 2 Koi Angel Fish and 2 male guppys. I have loads of questions but I'll save them for later!!! Oh yes and I've just found a small fry at the bottom of the tank...not sure whether that came from the petstore today (before today I only had the 2 platys in)..or from the platys (they've looked fat since we bought them but never noticed any smaller ones till today..it's about 1cm) Anyway I'm waffling...just supposed to be saying Hi!
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.11(Sat)1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

You can ask all your questions here; somebody is bound to know the answer. Smile
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.11(Sat)2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, The fry could have come from the pet store guppy tank of be from the platies.
You can find out when you look in the guppy tank at the store when you return the angels as you can't keep them in a 35 litre tank.
LoobyLoo
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.11(Sat)2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I mean about conflicting info..The guy at the store knows what tank I have and that I had 2 platys. I asked him this morning what fish would suit and he said any...and then sold me 2 angels and 2 guppys. Jeez this is harder than I thought..shoulda stuck with breeding dogs!!!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.11(Sat)2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many times we get people along who have been conned as you have -they get sold fish that they have no chance of keeping purely for the profit of the store.
Hold your hands spread out in front of your tank - that is how big angels can grow if properly reared.

A good tip is to always get info from someone who isn't trying to sell something Wink
LoobyLoo
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.10.17(Sun)6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would give a reply and let you know what happened with my angels ets...One very bossy angel went back to the fish store and the other very timid one now lives in a much bigger tank with 2 blood red gouramis and 4 bronze cats! ( now I know some people have said that you can't mix gouramis and angels but these were all introduced at the same time and have been getting on fine). Small tank now has 2 platys, 4 tetras and 3 pepper corys. Hope this is a much better mix and am loving keeping them. Have also found a fish store that seems to be run by enthusiasts rather than salesmen!
KhiaraFish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.10.17(Sun)7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great store, welcome to the forum!

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: