Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Glowing Angelfish
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.07(Tue)2:50    Post subject: Glowing Angelfish Reply with quote

Now, angel fish are wonderful fish, I personally like altums better than the normal ones but thats just me. But this? This is taking it too far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnhwY7dlbJM&feature=related

Just as useless as longfin neon tetra...
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.07(Tue)2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.07(Tue)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I have no problem with it. Certainly useless, but probably would not survive in the wild if released and is (IMO) more ethical than dyeing fish - both pretty good attributes to me.

Probably won't see it in Australia anytime soon, the regulations on GMOs here are pretty strict and tedious.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.07(Tue)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't even look cool IMO......

29 G
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.07(Tue)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
I dunno, I have no problem with it.

The problem I see isn't necessarily ethics but so much as it being genetically different. Someone is bound (or has already) bred these with normal angelfish, that offspring will soon reach me and will no longer be pure. Its the same with endlers and guppies, hybrids are sold all the time as pure.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.07(Tue)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the same type of "knock in" (inserting something into the genome) as mice, it's a dominant allele (that is, if it's there, it's expressed). I can't see how it would be any different, it's the easiest way to do it. It's pretty darn easy to see whether a fish has the "knock in" allele, just shine a blacklight on it and look for glow. No risk to this mutant allele spreading without people knowing about it.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.08(Wed)1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know lots of people that know that they breed guppies with endlers, he sells these hybrids and somewhere along the line somebody will get one with it not being pure. All I am saying is that what is wrong with the fish before? They look fine wild but now they make these ugly things.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.08(Wed)2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
I know lots of people that know that they breed guppies with endlers, he sells these hybrids and somewhere along the line somebody will get one with it not being pure. All I am saying is that what is wrong with the fish before? They look fine wild but now they make these ugly things.

Well, you and me might find the wild form, or even forms that are just bred to produce colors more beautiful than glowing angelfishes or even GloFish... But there's a market out there for the "fake" colored fish. My husband, for example, is bound and determined to make an entire tank of GloFish... and he doesn't even like danios. People like the fake colors... which is the only reason dyed fish are even sold at all. Somebody is buying them. You can do your part and not purchase them... but somebody is still going to.

I'm actually less of a fan of hybrids than I am of fluorescent fish. I really think that if you are going to hybridize a fish... then it is your responsibility to feed the fry to one of your fish, or to cull them. They should never leave your tanks. There is no reason for them to be on the market. It can make finding a purebred incredibly difficult, and frustrating. (I even own a hybrid synodontis. And I love him. But he never should have been mixed in the first place).
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.08(Wed)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, it is just taking selective breeding a step further IMO. Rather than randomly generating a trait then spending generations selecting for it, one can rationally "make" the fish look as desired. I'm also OK with hybrids, as long as they are sold as such (but then, who'd buy em?), I don't find it's so much a problem with the fish as much as it is the seller.

There are already long fin variants, "balloon" variants, color variants (e.g. gold honey gourami, neon blue rams)...look at goldfish, guppies, platies, swordtails etc etc none of those varieties existed to start off with and the average person doesn't even realize this.

I don't find some of these variants pleasing, but lots are generally accepted and like rales said, if there is a market for them, so be it.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.08(Wed)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its more humane than tattooing and all the other junk they do but deff not for me!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: