Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
question about canister filters
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
BPH
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)5:34    Post subject: question about canister filters Reply with quote

I really don't understand how canister filters provide oxygen to an marine aquarium... I use a fluval 205 canister, instead of using carbon(which I thought provided the oxygen) I now use 3 layers of fine pads and 1 tier of bio balls, and the 4 large paddings. so how does the canister filter provide oxygen?
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be different for a marine tank, but I don't know of any canister filter that provides/creates oxygen. The bacteria in a biological filter need oxygen to survive - but it gets that from the water. Moving water (surface agitation, power heads, etc.) will certainly provide more oxygen as the surface area is increased, but the filter itself moves the water to gain this ends. It doesn't create extra oxygen in the canister itself. Any filter that is run with a pump (corner bubble, under gravel) will increase the oxygen as air from the pump is introduced directly into the water column.

So in short, by moving the water the canister filter increases the oxygen - it does not provide it.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.10(Fri)12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's how it works. Dissolved oxygen levels tend to be lower in SW, and many of the critters in our care require increased water flow, so in addition to filters we usually add powerheads to make sure there's enough oxygen in the system.
Carbon has no effect on oxygen; the purpose of running carbon is to remove impurities and dissolved organics.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: