Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
is it a malaysian trumpet snail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.06(Mon)10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have MTS and I like them, I am guilty of over feeding so I have lots of them and have gotten a few assassin snails in all of my tanks to keep their numbers in check. They stir the sand and clean the glass and plants. The only down side is if you get wayyyy too many of them and your water is lacking buffer they can cause your pH to crash from using up all the KH in the water..... but that's primarily in sparse breeding tanks so you needn't worry about that.

In the end its up to you, if you like it keep it, if you don't toss it in the freezer.
I wouldn't worry about your pl*CO2 getting him, they are masters of evading predators and one of the hardest snails for critters to eat.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.06(Mon)13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

They lower KH? I thought it would be gH. But thats just me thinking what I think with no science-y stuff.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.08(Wed)10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they lower the KH and the GH follows.
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.18(Sat)1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little question there:
If I want to introduce some snails to a 30L tank mainly for cleaning algae and uneaten food, is MTS a good choice?

I've had red ramshorn snails before, but they died out eventually. The offspring they left are now being kept in a small jar, they are too small and can easily be eaten by angels or Corys. I'm just afraid that MTS might overwhelm my tank because, I admit, there is some degree of overfeeding. Well, I haven't come across a shop that sells MTS. There are only shops which have them in their fish tanks but would probably like to keep this treasure to themselves. Laughing
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.18(Sat)2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see some in a shop, ask if they are for sale! You would only need a couple to get things going.

Another option is mystery snails. They eat algae and ... well, just about anything. They don't leave babies everywhere, and they should be large enough to escape being prey for your other fishes. They also come in a variety of colors Wink I'm not the biggest fan of snails, really... but I really like my (one remaining Sad) mystery snail! But don't expect them to keep your glass completely clean of algae... they get most of it, but there's always a thin film that they don't manage to eat, so wiping the glass off is still necessary. (I only wipe it like once every couple of months in my betta/snail tank... but, its not like anybody but me and my son see the tank, or I'd probably wipe it more often. Smile)
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: