Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
is it a malaysian trumpet snail?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rickiesue333
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.03(Fri)12:01    Post subject: is it a malaysian trumpet snail? Reply with quote

Recently found a baby snail (little under 1") in my 50 g. aquarium. I have no live plants and bought the gravel from walmarts. Where did this snail come from? It is trumpet shaped and tan with darker brown small spots or dots on it. Looked it up online and the Malaysian Trumpet Snail looks like what I got. I took him out the aquarium and put it in a small bowl until I figure out what it is. Can anyone give me any info on this snail? I'm not very experienced, trying to learn as much as I can, and it's my 1st 50 g. aquarium. Thanks!
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.03(Fri)14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolly a MTS (Malaysian trumpet snail). All I can tell you is this:
The burrow in the substrate, they breed live young, and they do no harm to plants. I actually prefer them in my aquariums.
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)2:47    Post subject: plecos and malaysian trumpet snail Reply with quote

thanks for the reply..now another question..I have a common Pleco that's about 5.5 inches long and as I said the malaysian trumpet snail is a little under an inch long. Is he in danger of being eaten by the Pleco? or any other fish? Thanks
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the pleco will not eat the snail. If you have loach's it will prolly eat it. What species of pleco do you have? If it is a common pleco than you will need to return it as it is not suitable for your 55g aquarium.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTS don't really require much in the terms of care. The thing most people experience problems with is getting rid of them once they get into the tank. If you don't want hundreds of them in your tank, leave the one you have out of the tank. They don't require a mate to breed, so you can start with just the one and end up with a ton of them.

Whether you want them or not is up to you. If I were you, I'd do some reading of the pros and cons of them before you place it back in your tank. They can cause problems, but I imagine they have some good points too.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.04(Sat)8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they do or do not need a mate. I heard about how if you can fine "male" MTS then they won't breed.
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.09.05(Sun)8:06    Post subject: Pleco n 50 g aquarium Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of Pleco it is. When I bought it about 1.5 yrs ago it was probly about 2 inches long and it was one of those that you see in pet stores all the time. I actually had a 10 g. aquarium at the time with a couple of goldfish and the person at Petsmart told me it was some kind of algae eater tht would be good for my aquarium in keeping it clean. I forgot the name of it so I looked it up on this website yest and I'm sure it's a common Pleco. Is there any other type of fish that looks like that? It's gotten somewhat bigger. It seems to be doing well in my aquarium and doesn't bother my other small tropical fish. I hope it's not one of those type of fish that gets huge! If so, I guess I'll have to buy a much larger aquarium. Thank you for the help. As I said I'm inexperienced and trying to learn all I can.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.05(Sun)8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, post a picture of the pleco and I'm sure somebody here can help you identify it and can tell you more about him. Smile There are a lot of different kinds of plecos. Some get enormous, some only get 5".

About how big is yours?
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.09.05(Sun)11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snails are not inherently bad. Too many Snails are usually a sign of way too much food. Malaysian Trumpet Snails are useful and unless they are overproducing they will normally during the day stay under the gravel. Snails are interesting creatures and are useful. Many folk (myself included) have gotten some from friends to keep the gravel mixed up. MTAs are self generating. I am not sure if they are hermaphrodites or are parthenogentic but only one is required for reproduction to take place. So bottom line is enjoy them, they are useful and interesting. Physical removal is the way to go if you must but prevention is best. Any chemical that is bad for snails is also bad for the other inhabitants. So unless you must do not use any chemical in a tank.

Some plec*s are not plec*s regardless of what the folk at the LFS say. The term Plec*s is similar to peanuts at a Drag Race. It is considered bad luck so that is why the name is not normally spelled out. Regular Plec*s are sold frequently to young boys as a buddy for their Oscar in the 55G. When they get big they get returned or let loose somewhere. It is quite frequently seen at the LFS for a very low price, because nobody wants them.

Keeping an extremely large fish requires a very large tank, from the gitgo, not when you can. Stunting takes place before your eyes. Fish will and can grow very large if water quality is kept up regardless of container size. A fish or other critter is doomed to a very short and unhappy life if kept in a too small container though.

Ancistrus or Bushy Nose (sometimes called Bristle Nose) are usually called plec*s by almost everybody are a better bet although some wood to rasp on , as well as regular food, is required. They stay relatively small and are, usually, very well behaved.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.09.05(Sun)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you always misspell them, do you say it differently?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: