Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Seventy-Five Gallon Setup (Feb 2011)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.12(Sun)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry! Took me a few days to get the pictures up! There's just not enough hours in the day to take pictures, do water changes, play with babies, play video games *and* do chores! Laughing

Here's the best shots I could get of the rummynoses. There's actually only four... the guy apparently caught 4 rummynoses and 2 glowlight danios (I'm pretty sure that's what they are). By the way... these tetras are incredibly fast! Smile

What do you think? Return the danios for a few more rummies and put them in the 75?

And the itsy-bitsy oh-so-hungry baby bristlenoses! They are cute!

I can't really tell one from the other just yet, but I suspect one of them is a male... there's tiny bristles forming on his lip, and the other one is "clean shaven", just like the female I have in my other tank. Either way; I love how much algae they eat! Very Happy

When I put them in the tank, this rock was *covered* with algae. The next morning...

Also in the tank the next morning, less than 24 hours of them being in their new home:

Ewwww... it did very nicely point out my two dead spots in the tank, though. Gonna put some plants there.

And, some of the other inhabitants:
The marbled angel is kinda funny. He follows me back and forth across the tank every time I walk by, and is very active and curious about everything going on. And he's *always* hungry! Gets very excited when he sees the yellow can.

This angel is less exciteable, but very pretty, and I think she's healthy. The red lines that diademhill pointed out seem to have disappeared and her colors have come in nicely on her fins. Her long pointy fins (what are those called?) have turned an irridescent blue... very pretty. Took her a little longer to settle in, but she no longer hides beneath the filters. (BTW - no idea if the marbled is a boy and the blushing is a girl, it just seems fitting to call one a boy and the other a girl. haha)

Diamond tetras... I don't know if I actually managed to not scare them when I took the pic or if they were just posing. But either way! Not blurry. Smile

I am almost done stocking this tank... Just looking for the cories now, and need to decide if I want the rummies in there or if I should add the last three diamonds. I am guessing I'm going to have to order the cories online, because I haven't had much luck finding any in the stores. Then its just a matter of getting the plants to grow in, and probably adding some more. Eventually, I'd love the tank to be heavily planted... but I think its going to take some time to get there. Smile

I've been doing daily water changes, too, of about 4 gallons. Mostly to suck up pleco poop, now... I really want to locate some peat... seems like the diamond tetras would be so much prettier in darker water. Maybe I'll get off my bum and go to The Home Depot today. Smile
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.12(Sun)14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most AG stores and home depot, even wal-mart has peat. Its like $15 for a huge bag. I really like those rummy nose's its making me want mine even more. I think the rummynoses will be fine in the 75g with the angels. You know that you can sell a bunch of guppies on aquabid for a decent price...But I guess those are show grade. I plan on getting most my fish from online vendors who have a "garage" set-up, I am going to try and stay away from my LFS even though its one of the best (the owner was one of the first to breed zebra plecos in captivity, and is a moderator on planetcatfish) it is best to stick to private breeders.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.12(Sun)15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Yeah, my guppies are definitely not show grade... and most of them are young females, so if I bring them to the petstore, he won't give me anything for them because they aren't pretty. I thought I'd feed some to the angels, but the angels are not currently big enough to eat anything but the guppy fry... I suppose I could bag some up and bring them to a friend of ours' who was an adult oscar. That would take care of 'em. Wink

We don't have much for private breeders around here; trust me, I've been looking. I've got two pretty decent pet stores, and that's about it. I've tried to find any fish people as close as 2 hours in any direction, and its slim pickin's. I'm fine with the pet store fish. They're healthy, they have decent selection, and the people running it have been right on every fish I've asked them to ID for me. Smile

Does Wal-Mart have peat in the winter, though? I thought about going there, but I figured all the gardening stuff would be put away until after Christmas at least.

I'll probably add the rummies to the 75, then... and get three or four more to make it a school. Then 8-10 sterbai cories, and I'm set. Smile And then its on to convincing my husband that I need that 125g...
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.12(Sun)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peat might be at wal-mart. Just go to a gardening place. A lot of places have it. Just look.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.13(Mon)12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if it was you, katie, or somebody else, but you guys have a marine land stealth heater...I keep hear terrible things about them, see this thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/103155-beware-marineland-stealth-pro-heater.html
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.13(Mon)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen multiple of those articles, here is a thread with all the bad lot numbers -

http://www.minnfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23752

My fish mugged me and stole my wallet!
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.17(Fri)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

So those links have made me incredibly nervous and I'm hoping that mine hold out. Christmas has sucked up most of our money and my husband is not going to let me replace a functioning heater... >_<

Sad news, though... I decided to put the rummynoses into the 75 since they had fattened up and I felt bad for them, there in that little tiny tank. So I transferred them over just before lights-out, because the angels were especially curious about what was going on... and this morning, I found two dead bodies, each being happily munched on by a pleco (gross). That was kind of an expensive way to figure out that they can't live together...

The last two are still in the tank, hiding behind one of the filters. I don't know what to do with them. A certain somebody is *not* accompanying me to the pet store from here on out... unless its to buy me that 125 they have such a good deal on. Wink

I feel bad, though, because its my fault I even have this problem to begin with! I hate impulse buying... gotta try harder to make sure it doesn't happen again. Rolling Eyes
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.12.17(Fri)22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most my impulse buy's are at auctions, but I have bought 9 tiger barbs (drop them off at the LFS today!) and a two betta's on impulse. Well...I guess you could say I had a impulse buy today also... I replaced my L. brevis with 9 (I think...I just said to the fish store own 7 or 10) and I also got two Apistogramma cacatuoides "Double Red" (pair) on impulse...but those were for good I think... Anyway, sad about the fish, best of luck with the planned fish.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.01.02(Sun)0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have identified one of the baby bristlenoses as definitely a male. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the bristles grow in even more!

The male, from the top, showing off his colors nicely;

Side view; you can just barely see the little bristles starting to form. Its going up the center of his nose, which is why I'm so sure it's a boy. Smile Cuuutie

The suspected female:

The angelfish, who have grown quite a bit! They get along famously. Smile

Now that Christmas is over, I'm going to concentrate a bit more funds into getting the plants to grow in some. Definitely looking forward to seeing some serious growth... that isn't in algae-form, hehehe. Smile
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2011.02.16(Wed)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I haven't been around much the last couple of weeks! Life got busy...

I finally got around to getting into Home Depot, where after walking around the store for half an hour, getting distracted by flower pots (my house plants need upgrading), plants that I don't need, and all sorts of fertilizers except osmocote, I finally found both some organic peat moss with nothing added to it and some osmocote. Yay! I'm currently 'making' my root tabs with the osmocote... put about 1/2 teaspoon of the osmocote into an ice tray and a drop of water treater, and covered the osmocote with water and stuck it in the freezer. I imagine they'll be frozen by this afternoon. Smile Hooray... My plants will finally start getting some of the love they deserve!

All of my plants besides the java fern and the c. wendtii have been suffering from lack of attention. The tank went about two weeks without water changes because I got too busy/sick/lazy... but we're back at it now! I need to trim some dead stuff.

I bought some new plants yesterday at my new favorite LFS. The owner came and chatted with me for about twenty minutes about plants and fish, and she asked questions about what was in my tank, what kind of lighting I had, and even went and got a plant book out to determine which plants would be best. I already had a rough idea of what I wanted, but it was nice to get some help on the plants and not be referred to the plastic plants like the other LFS does. She even apologized for all the snails that would surely come with my purchase. And she admitted when she didn't know something, unlike the other place, who seems to just make it up.

Anyways. Pictures of the plants I bought:
Hornwort:

Hornwort invaders; For every one I pulled off, I'm sure I missed at least three. I think they're ramshorns, but they're so puny and I need glasses, so I couldn't tell for sure.

The fish LOVE it. I didn't really know what to do with it, so I just pushed it down into the sand. I know it doesn't have roots, but I wanted it anchored somehow. Its got a weighted rubber thingy thats kind of ugly... but will pushing that into the sand to hide it harm the plant at all? (From what I understand, it grows so fast that I'll likely be regretting the purchase in about a month anyway... haha)

An... anubias? Maybe anubias barteri var. angustifolia? Its the closest I can find on the internet, but I haven't looked very hard yet. I've left it floating for now, because I wanted to confirm an ID on it so I know if it needs planted or tied to driftwood. So if you can confirm or deny an ID, that'd be great. Smile

Leaf close-up:

Root/rhizome close-ups:

Jungle vals: I'm hoping they'll fill in nicely, but I guess time will tell.

Time to attempt a split on the c. wendtii? I get nervous about it, because I really don't know how! Last time, I pulled the plant up and chopped a small section of the bottom off, making sure roots were attached. The cutting died off, but then three puny little leaves grew after I thought for sure it hadn't worked. Is that all there is to splitting it? Can I split it into more than just two plants, or would you just go with splitting it in half?

A poor full tank shot. I should have taken it last night, but I forgot, so there's a window glare that I tried to block. Smile

I've got a bit of an extra push to get this tank as low-maintenance as possible as quickly as I can (which is a big part of the reason I got the hornwort)... Smile Found out last week that I am pregnant! Yay... Smile However, I'm finding the first trimester woes (namely; the complete and total lack of motivation to do anything but sit on the couch and watch TV while trying not to puke) to put a damper on my willingness to keep up with my tanks. I'm actually so tired I considered (for about half a minute) taking down two of my tanks! I decided that's just silly, but I would like for this tank and my new 20g to be as easy to care for as possible, due to the tiredness of making a baby and because when the baby comes, I'm going to be a bit swamped with carrying him or her around all the time again for several months. Smile So how many more plants do I need to add to get it closer to the low-maintenance end of the spectrum?

Also, as far as stocking, I'm not having any luck finding any cories that I like, so I'm considering switching to a sort of loach, because they're cuter than pictuses, which I've also considered. Thoughts? I almost bought a trio of khuli loaches yesterday, but I was short on cash, so I resisted. Smile She also had some yoyo loaches, who are totally cute, but I wanted to make an informed purchase and not an impulse one.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to: